Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Like The Devil >

Shooting Like The Devil

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Like The Devil

Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting Like The Devil

A guy recently gave me a handful of .54 caliber 295 grain Copper Clad Hollow Point Powerbelts.

Now I've never shot Powerbelts before, even though MountainDevil has been pushing them for years.

I had the .54 Green Mountain/TC Renegade at the range yesterday, with its 1:70 round ball twist. I wouldn't expect that barrel to stabilize conicals, but figured "what the heck, let's see if I can shoot like the Devil".

I shot five of those things over 85 grains of GOEX FFFg at 50 yards, and got this.

Now that really surprised me. Not a great group, but the bullets appear stable and the group is symmetrical indicating some potential. More or less powder just might tighten it up nicely.

The problem is, I'm not willing to pay the price of Powerbelts to experiment with more of them. BUT, it sure got me to wondering if this barrel will shoot .50 caliber 300 grain Deep Curls with MMP Purple sabots.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

for a 1:70 twist, thats a HELL of a group!

I think my mag spark came in saturday but i will have to get it tomorrow morning. Mount that baby onto my 54 mtn stalker and load up some BH209 with the 295gr Powerbelts!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I should say so. Pretty darn good shootin there pardner. Funny how things go better than expected sometimes.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, it's only 50 yards. It it were 100 I would be real impressed.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would think a PRB will do better with that barrel.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Muley, it's a ball barrel and I got it for that purpose (cheap shooting). But I had those bullets in the truck and had to shoot them just for the heck of it. I also had a long 50-shot session with balls Saturday afternoon, and will be posting the results a little later. Need to scan the targets first.