Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader hunting >

Muzzleloader hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader hunting

Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default Muzzleloader hunting

What are some of the pros and cons of muzzleloader hunting? I have never owned or shot a muzzleloader but I am very interested in getting started, so I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of it muzzleloader hunting here in Iowa.
Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Cons : They are very addicting and you'll soon be selling off your other guns to buy more muzzle loaders.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure a pro/con list is of any real value. From a pure effectiveness standpoint the cons outweigh the pros by a fairly wide margin because muzzle loaders can't match a 30-06 in energy, trajectory, range, or speed of a follow up shot. ML hunting either tickles your fancy or does not. It tickles mine bunches.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-23-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

First off welcome. Here are a few of mine.

Pros: Extends hunting season
Provides hours of testing bullets, loads, etc (fun times)
Fair game, you shoot and miss oh well that buck goes on
Smoke and fire
Forces you to respect the game and your gun knowing that a muzzy cannot outshoot a centerfire

Cons: Extends hunting season (usually so dang gum tired the end of the year)
(expensive if you like to shoot a lot and just need that better bullet)
(usually that buck of a lifetime, I missed a 16 pointer one year as I had the shakes so bad and shot and missed, he went off for another day)
Smoke and fire (rotten egg smell of real blackpowder and Pyrodex)
Forces you to respect the game and your gun knowing that a muzzy cannot outshoot a centerfire (knowing that the trophy buck is out at the 250 yard mark and you cannot do anything about it)

If you are in doubt try it. I did and had no help until I found this site a while back. Buy an entry type gun and get some supplies and shoot it. If you cannot do that find a buddy who shoots a muzzy and have him take you shooting. I have been shooting and do not own any more centerfires. It is very addictive and a lot more fun for sure especially when you connect with that first deer.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

MLer Hunting teaches you to take your Best Shot as you only have one. It teaches you disciplin and makes you a better Hunter.
You must know your MLer inside and out and what it likes to shoot, how to Clean it and maintain it. When you know this stuff you'll be on your way to a Great Sport. The Pros are everything is good and fun about it and it extends your Hunting Season. the Cons are you only have one shot and you have to keep it Clean, simple as that.
(BP)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pro's - I Love it.
Con's - I Love it.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cons: A bit expensive usually and addictive.

Pros
The satisfaction of making that one shot count as often as possible.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotbuck

Pros: Extends hunting season
Smoke and fire
Forces you to respect the game and your gun knowing that a muzzy cannot outshoot a centerfire

If you are in doubt try it. I did and had no help until I found this site a while back. Buy an entry type gun and get some supplies and shoot it. If you cannot do that find a buddy who shoots a muzzy and have him take you shooting. I have been shooting and do not own any more centerfires. It is very addictive and a lot more fun for sure especially when you connect with that first deer.
Originally Posted by Breechplug
MLer Hunting teaches you to take your Best Shot as you only have one. It teaches you disciplin and makes you a better Hunter.
You must know your MLer inside and out and what it likes to shoot, how to Clean it and maintain it. When you know this stuff you'll be on your way to a Great Sport. The Pros are everything is good and fun about it and it extends your Hunting Season. the Cons are you only have one shot and you have to keep it Clean, simple as that.
(BP)
I agree with these guys. If your not sure about muzzleloading, I would tag along with somebody you know that shoots them to get a "feel" for the sport.

If you don't know anybody that shoots muzzleloaders, I would dive in head first! Your never going to know for sure if you like it unless you get some hands-on experience with this type of shooting.

There are some really great deals on new muzzleloaders right now for around $200-$250(if you decide to buy just ask some of the forum members for examples)

There is a TON of great info in the archives. Just about any question can be answered by using the "search function" to research the archives.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Spike

Way more accurate than the Slug Guns you and I are forced to use by law. You also have that great late ML Season in Iowa that I wished we had here in New York.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

like anything, you can choose to get into someting really heavily or just enough to be effective. I like ml because it extends my season, and it also puts me in the woods during the peak of the rut here when gun season still hasnt started. i guess i was lucky but i found a bullet/powder combo that worked really well quickly, and other than buying some different cleaning products and equipment, it really hasnt cost me much time or money other than buying the rifle itsself. From my perspective the pro is more hunting time, and no cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.