HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
quake
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotbuck

Pros: Extends hunting season
Provides hours of testing bullets, loads, etc (fun times)
Fair game, you shoot and miss oh well that buck goes on
Smoke and fire
Forces you to respect the game and your gun knowing that a muzzy cannot outshoot a centerfire

If you are in doubt try it. I did and had no help until I found this site a while back. Buy an entry type gun and get some supplies and shoot it. If you cannot do that find a buddy who shoots a muzzy and have him take you shooting. I have been shooting and do not own any more centerfires. It is very addictive and a lot more fun for sure especially when you connect with that first deer.
Originally Posted by Breechplug
MLer Hunting teaches you to take your Best Shot as you only have one. It teaches you disciplin and makes you a better Hunter.
You must know your MLer inside and out and what it likes to shoot, how to Clean it and maintain it. When you know this stuff you'll be on your way to a Great Sport. The Pros are everything is good and fun about it and it extends your Hunting Season. the Cons are you only have one shot and you have to keep it Clean, simple as that.
(BP)
I agree with these guys. If your not sure about muzzleloading, I would tag along with somebody you know that shoots them to get a "feel" for the sport.

If you don't know anybody that shoots muzzleloaders, I would dive in head first! Your never going to know for sure if you like it unless you get some hands-on experience with this type of shooting.

There are some really great deals on new muzzleloaders right now for around $200-$250(if you decide to buy just ask some of the forum members for examples)

There is a TON of great info in the archives. Just about any question can be answered by using the "search function" to research the archives.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME