Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions Good buy?? >

Traditions Good buy??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Good buy??

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Spike

Default Traditions Good buy??

I don't post but have learnded a whole lot here buy reading from you guys. I joined when I thought I was going to buy a TC but I didn't get it. So I found a Traditions .45 cal LD stainless,fluted, 209. Guy bought it new at bass pro and shot it some otherwise he says its practically new. I will check the bore of course and I know that .45 materials are not readily avaiable but can be found. Does $180 sound like a deal. Does anyone have experiance with this paticular gun.
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you talking about the Traditions Lightning Bolt? It's a bolt-action rifle. If so, the .45 versions have a 1 in 20" twist which can be difficult to find the right bullet that will shoot good out of it. On the other hand, some people really like the 1 in 20" twist because it allows them to shoot long-for-caliber bullets.

As far as it being a good deal, I remember seeing them on clearance about 2 years ago on the Traditions website for $120. So I don't think $180 is necessarily a good deal if this is the rifle you are talking about. Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 1-20 is just fine for a 200gr SST and 100gr usually. Lighter bullets might not shoot as well without a reduced charge. The 185 or 200gr Lehigh might shoot very well in it too.

The problem was during the "super" 45 craze they were promoting 155gr bullets and 3 pellet charges getting in the 2500fps range. Well you might get close to that fps but i doubt it will group well.

The Pursuit Pro with a steel frame in 45cal might be worth $180 but otherwise i wouldn't pay much for it. Maybe $125-$150 in excellent or better shape for a plunger gun. I would verify its stainless too. Most older Traditions were nickel finish.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have Traditions Lightning Bolts (2000 and 2001) and they are almost the same as the Long Distance You are seeing. The bolt action is a great one in my opinion. Here is my sweet one with a fluted nickel finish.

I have looked at rhe 45s before and I think $180 is a good deal. First check your state to see if they allow a 45 caliber for hunting I know of some states in the past if you went Elk hunting you had to use 50 caliber and up. Bullets are out there if you think outside of muzzleloading for instance you can use 180 Nosler partition hollowpoints intended for the .357 mag pistol, Hornady 200gr XTP 40cal bullet, using the harvester company's crushed ribbed sabot, 195 grain aerotip powerbelt , T/C Arms and Hornady list a 200gr, 40cal spire-point, flat based bullet in a 40/45cal sabot, the choices are endless. Those are a few I was going to try, but never bought the 45. I hunt in heavy timber and need a good close shooting gun, a 45 can get you way out there. Here is a good read on 45s and what they were getting using their bullets of course but a good test.

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/2002_caribou_hunt.html

If it fits in a 45 caliber sabot I would try it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can actually buy last years CVA Optima models for about the same price new NIB. i am not A CVA fan myself but from reading the reviews on this forum and others, it's a good reliable, accurate rifle. just a thought... Ray
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention that www.oldenglishoutfitters also has the NIB "man size" Knight wolverines for $150. great overall quality rifle, little harder to clean and use the red 209 jackets. other than that a fantastic first time inline for anyone not wanting to spend a ton of dollars.Ray
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
You can actually buy last years CVA Optima models for about the same price new NIB. i am not A CVA fan myself but from reading the reviews on this forum and others, it's a good reliable, accurate rifle. just a thought... Ray
Yeah, Walmarts here still have the CVA Optima's with a stainless barrel in stock and they are all on clearance for $199. This is for a 50 caliber though.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Spike

thanks guys. This is a great site for info. I will check it out and see if I can get him down a little. Here is a pic and yeah it may be nickle instead of stainless now that I look at a little closer.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Phathead

I would get him down a bit. It is a little bit of a specialized twist. I personally like a fast twist 45cal. Shoot the heavier 40cals (200gr+) in 45 sabots or heavy for caliber conicals if they will shoot well. Use cheaper XTPs or GoldDots for range and fun shooting.

Ive been trying to find a cheap Pursuit Pro in 45cal just because they had a steel frame and you could add a ML shotgun barrel to them. I want to cut it down to carbine length as a project. I cant bring myself to butcher one of my Knights.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yeah, Walmarts here still have the CVA Optima's with a stainless barrel in stock and they are all on clearance for $199. This is for a 50 caliber though.
I have seen them in .45 and .50 cal. just can't see buying a used rifle, when there are new ones about the same price. i would also stick with a
50 cal rifle, just a lot more options with it.. the 1:20 twist rifles are very finicky about what you shove down them..1:28 give far more bullet options.. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.