Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200g SST

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 200g SST

THE VIDEO

The bullet and tip weigh 165.4g.

This same set up has been used several times before, and since the jugs are always the same, a good comparison between bullets is possible. Previously, all the bullets tested in this way were 300g, except for one 270g. The powder charge was always kept the same, as was the approximate distance In this case, since this bullet is so much lighter, it seemed that holding the same 105g BH209 powder charge, wouldn't result in a good comparison. So, what was done was to set the clock at the jugs, and measure the speed of a 300g bullet pushed by the 105g charge. It turned out to be 1814 fps at the 14 yard distance of the jugs. Then various powder loads were tested until a similar bullet speed was achieved with the 200g bullet. The load was about 92.5g of BH, and the Omega was loaded and fired.

The bullet shredded the first two jugs, and penetrated through the next 2 jugs. The last 2 jugs, and the phone books were untouched by bullet. It took quite a lot of searching to find the bullet. When i was close to giving up on finding it, i spied it on the ground about 10' almost straight left of the jugs. The tip was laying on the ground right in front of the jugs; slightly left.

These jugs are no longer available to me; there are 5 jugs available for one last test.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Ron, what sabot do you use with the 200gr. Hornady when shooting the Omega? What kind of accuracy do you get with the 200gr.? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quake
Ron, what sabot do you use with the 200gr. Hornady when shooting the Omega? What kind of accuracy do you get with the 200gr.? Thanks in advance

Thank you for asking; i have done zero chores this morning, because i had to make the target to answer your question. The sabot is the blue crush rib. The load is 115g BH, and the primer is the W209. The Omega was only used to shoot the jugs, because it has a peep sight, which works good for me at close range. The rifle used to shoot the paper, and the one i plan to use for prairie deer hunting is the Triumph, which has a 4x scope.

The breeze wasn't much this morning. The top bull was the aim. The top bullet hole was shot at around 100 yard. The bottom 3 holes were made from 201 yard.

Now, the chores need tending.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice test! I did a similar test with the 200 Shockwave (yellow tip) last summer. I had a bit better penetration than you did, but my bullet did lose its jacket. I found the jacket in milk jug #3, the lead core penetrated thru all 5 milk jugs and was lost. My velocity was similar too - around 1850 - 1900 fps.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

ron thanks for the info. Back in November a hunting buddy of mine gave me nine of the 200gr. Shockwaves with the supplied blue sabots to try in my Triumph. With the last three bullets in the pack, i shot a 3/4" group at 100 yds. off the permanent shooting bench with sandbags. I was using 100gr. of Triple Seven 2f and Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers. I have no idea what the velocity was with this load, i can only speculate. I bought three packages of these bad boys recently and plan to do some more testing soon.

I believe the T/C Shockwave is made by Hornady? They look identical to me. Is there any difference between the Shockwave and the Hornady SST besides the color of the tip?

The blue-supplied sabots in the package look like MMP sabots but i'm not sure?

Oh and by the way, sorry you didn't get your chores done.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Ron... in your opinion. Is that 200 grain SST a good deer killer? I have never shot a deer with one. But on a different forum a person asked me if the 200 would work as good or better then the 250 on deer sized game. He asked because of the accuracy he was getting with the 200 grain. I was honest and told him I saw no reason why it would not, and had read good reports of it, but could not base my account on first hand experience. Also if the 200 grain was more accurate, then it would be a better one to hunt with.

I just wondered how well they wound channel, and pass through. Very impressive test by the way.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Ron... in your opinion. Is that 200 grain SST a good deer killer?......................................I just wondered how well they wound channel, and pass through.....................
I don't know. I have shot less than 40 of these bullet in the last week; no prior experience.

In an identical jug test, with the 300g XTP bullet traveling at the same speed, the XTP only penetrated 3 jug; was found in the bottom of the third jug. The lead and jacket weren't together. The 200g sst penetrated 4 jugs, bounced off the 5th jug, and was found 10' away straight left on the ground in one piece.

The 300g Gold Dot traveling at the same speed as this 200g sst penetrated 4 jugs, when it was tested using the same type of jug. It was found in the 4th jug, seemingly after it bounced off a hard cherry board standing there behind the jug.

I can tell you this: i have killed 3 deer using the 300g XTP. Two were broadside complete pass throughs. The other was shot facing me into the chest, and dropped; don't know where the bullet went after turning the lung into mush. More than a dozen deer have fallen to the Gold Dot.

As i write this, i plan to use the 200g sst during our next prairie deer season.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

this is from a doe i shot last year,knight super-disc 110g vol. blackhorn, .40 200g sst.
entrance

exit
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Ron... in your opinion. Is that 200 grain SST a good deer killer? I have never shot a deer with one. But on a different forum a person asked me if the 200 would work as good or better then the 250 on deer sized game. He asked because of the accuracy he was getting with the 200 grain. I was honest and told him I saw no reason why it would not, and had read good reports of it, but could not base my account on first hand experience. Also if the 200 grain was more accurate, then it would be a better one to hunt with.

I just wondered how well they wound channel, and pass through. Very impressive test by the way.
I've taken 2 deer with the 200 Shockwave and 1 deer with the 200 SST. At first I was lukewarm about these bullets, but after this season I have a very positive impression. They seem to penetrate better than the .40 cal 200 XTP's I've been using. Expansion is very good at the velocities I've used them (1800 - 1900 fps). The deer I've shot with them have not traveled far and left decent blood trails.

Only negatives I can find are that they can fragment a bit on close shots (although I still got a pass-thru on every deer I've shot with them). Also, being a smaller bullet, the amount of internal damage was slightly less than what say, a 250 Gold Dot does. But overall I like them and will continue to use them.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quake
ron thanks for the info. Back in November a hunting buddy of mine gave me nine of the 200gr. Shockwaves with the supplied blue sabots to try in my Triumph. With the last three bullets in the pack, i shot a 3/4" group at 100 yds. off the permanent shooting bench with sandbags. I was using 100gr. of Triple Seven 2f and Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers. I have no idea what the velocity was with this load, i can only speculate. I bought three packages of these bad boys recently and plan to do some more testing soon.

I believe the T/C Shockwave is made by Hornady? They look identical to me. Is there any difference between the Shockwave and the Hornady SST besides the color of the tip?

The blue-supplied sabots in the package look like MMP sabots but i'm not sure?

Oh and by the way, sorry you didn't get your chores done.
I believe someone from here emailed Hornady awhile back with this question, and the answer was that the Shockwave and SST are "similar, but not identical". Hornady does make both of them, and I believe the core and jackets are identical, the only difference is the tip. They are obviously different colors, but several people have claimed that they are made from different materials as well. The 200 SST's (red tip) I have were purchased in 2006 and seem to be the same hardness and composition as the 200 yellow-tip Shockwaves. However, I know Hornady is using their new "flex-tip" technology in a lot of their newer stuff, so I don't know if they use it now with the 200 SST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.