Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bluing

Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default Bluing

Yestarday I blued my Kentucky Pistol and then decided to strip and reblue my Hawkens. I only got two coats on before it got to late and the dog spilt the cleaner and degreaser so I put some gun oil on it in hopes I can finish to day after I get some denatured alcohol.

Can I clean the oil off with the denatured alcohol and put a couple of more coats of bluing on?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are in a pinch for a good degreaser, try brake cleaner but make sure it doesn't get on any plastic or wood finish.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Isopropyl Alcohol.
I have even done it without taking the oil off.
As a matter of fact, I'm blueing my Bobcat again right now. I took it outside yesterday to take pictures and last night I noticed a scratch on the barrel. I had to sand it out and reblue the barrel. I've put too much work into that cheap pea shooter to stand for a scratch on it.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.