Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight MHC is ready for Texas hogs!!! >

Knight MHC is ready for Texas hogs!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight MHC is ready for Texas hogs!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gosh Ray! I am glad you asked give me a few minutes and hopefully I will have an infor sheet ready for you - thanks to GM54-120...

But it is all good news....

Here it tis... You will probably have to run your screen up with the zoom feature to read it all... but it is a really good gun...

Thanks for the info. i am sorry but i just can't see paying what they want for that rifle, especially considering it uses the plastic 209 primer holders.one would think for the price it would be equipped with the Lehigh conversion.Knights stocks and barrels are top notch.what are they thinking! Ray
Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Thanks for the info. i am sorry but i just can't see paying what they want for that rifle, especially considering it uses the plastic 209 primer holders.one would think for the price it would be equipped with the Lehigh conversion.Knights stocks and barrels are top notch.what are they thinking! Ray
Ray actually sometimes you pay for what you get. I think a lot of guys like the jacket because it does a super job at keeping your primer dry and ready to fire in any condition. I bought this gun with the intentions of using the jacket but really like the Lehigh conversion kit so chances are I won't use the jacket. But there again, different strokes for different folks!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

Problem is that there are a heck of a lot of folks that like the plastic jackets.. They completley seal the breech area from any moister. Combine that with a muzzle mitt on the end of the muzzle and the rifle is completely sealed to the point you can throw it in the river - take it out the next day and it will shoot just fine.

In a down pour the ability of many ML's to shoot can be compromised....
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the MHC "new", you got an extra composite stock. The LRH came with both FPJ and NFPJ plugs. Considering they both had nice stocks, adding a $40 plug vs another stock is a better deal.

I prefer a NFPJ but i can see some hunting conditions that a FPJ would be superior. I was going to use mine just for the range and plinking but i got good enough with it i can drop in a primer pretty fast.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Ray actually sometimes you pay for what you get. I think a lot of guys like the jacket because it does a super job at keeping your primer dry and ready to fire in any condition. I bought this gun with the intentions of using the jacket but really like the Lehigh conversion kit so chances are I won't use the jacket. But there again, different strokes for different folks!
Please don't take what i said the wrong way.Knight has a lot going for them,with the GMB barrels and there rifle stocks. both IMHO are the best mass produced products in the industry and that's coming from a T/C triumph owner lol.i know this since i own a $150 wolverine that was bought NIB and see the quality first hand.i just can't see Knight trying to market 3 basically the same bolt rifles with different stocks at a premium price. one which comes standard with the Lehigh conversion the others with old technology plastic jackets.keeping the little horn & bighorn i feel was a good idea, since you can use a 209 & cap for the states where 209 primers are not legal.the biggest let down was knight not designing a reasonably priced break action rifle, prior to reopening there doors..i want nothing more than to see knight succeed in the industry.if they don't get with the program i am afraid they won't.. Ray
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Please don't take what i said the wrong way.Knight has a lot going for them,with the GMB barrels and there rifle stocks. both IMHO are the best mass produced products in the industry and that's coming from a T/C triumph owner lol.i know this since i own a $150 wolverine that was bought NIB and see the quality first hand.i just can't see Knight trying to market 3 basically the same bolt rifles with different stocks at a premium price. one which comes standard with the Lehigh conversion the others with old technology plastic jackets.keeping the little horn & bighorn i feel was a good idea, since you can use a 209 & cap for the states where 209 primers are not legal.the biggest let down was knight not designing a reasonably priced break action rifle, prior to reopening there doors..i want nothing more than to see knight succeed in the industry.if they don't get with the program i am afraid they won't.. Ray
Points well Ray!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just to be fair the LRH comes with both, a FPJ and NFPJ setup but i get your point. IMO the Extremes should also and at one point i was told they are going to.

The new owners of Knight spent a lot of time asking what everyone wanted but at the same time had to look at what old stock they had and could turn into capital for future R&D/profit. You got to do something with all those barreled actions and Extremes were one of the most popular. The LRH is ok if you dont mind a larger rifle. Then they had the Extreme US prototype that everyone was dying to get.

Patience grasshopper, a mans got to make a buck and test the waters after such a large investment. I also dont think they wanted to compete with the break actions right away. They Know the Vision has potential and is somewhat unique.

They are also catering to what they liked in older Knights and what most Knight enthusiasts wanted....DISCs and a plunger gun that all have fully adjustable triggers. Personally i dont think they wanted to get into the rest of the market just yet. Many of the newer designs are considered to be what killed Knight but i still think the Vision wasn't that bad.

IMO the only strikeout is not offering a 45cal but i am very biased. CVA even announced more 45cal offerings and 45s are also the rage in the SML crowd atm. I THINK the reason they didn't offer one had more to do with lack of 45cal barrels after years of 50cal dominance in the market.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Just to be fair the LRH comes with both, a FPJ and NFPJ setup but i get your point. IMO the Extremes should also and at one point i was told they are going to.

The new owners of Knight spent a lot of time asking what everyone wanted but at the same time had to look at what old stock they had and could turn into capital for future R&D/profit. You got to do something with all those barreled actions and Extremes were one of the most popular. The LRH is ok if you dont mind a larger rifle. Then they had the Extreme US prototype that everyone was dying to get.

Patience grasshopper, a mans got to make a buck and test the waters after such a large investment. I also dont think they wanted to compete with the break actions right away. They Know the Vision has potential and is somewhat unique.

They are also catering to what they liked in older Knights and what most Knight enthusiasts wanted....DISCs and a plunger gun that all have fully adjustable triggers. Personally i dont think they wanted to get into the rest of the market just yet. Many of the newer designs are considered to be what killed Knight but i still think the Vision wasn't that bad.

IMO the only strikeout is not offering a 45cal but i am very biased. CVA even announced more 45cal offerings and 45s are also the rage in the SML crowd atm. I THINK the reason they didn't offer one had more to do with lack of 45cal barrels after years of 50cal dominance in the market.
Points well taken GM. problem is the vast majority of the market wants break action type rifles lol. and Knight needs that to keep there heads above water. and i do agree with you also on the .45 cal offerings.. Ray
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO the break action market is saturated with low cost imports and they are very desirable to the seasonal hunters. Its going to be a hard market to compete in unless you have a unique design. The Vision CAN fill this slot in time with a couple of minor changes. I doubt it will ever be a $300 msrp rifle though and getting the thrifty minded market to spend the extra is a hard sell.

Right now i think Knight should stick to what they did best, compete in the upper ranks and cater to the enthusiasts until they begin to show a profit. Competing with off shore products that get dumped at rock bottom prices a year later is a SOB.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
IMO the break action market is saturated with low cost imports and they are very desirable to the seasonal hunters. Its going to be a hard market to compete in unless you have a unique design. The Vision CAN fill this slot in time with a couple of minor changes. I doubt it will ever be a $300 msrp rifle though and getting the thrifty minded market to spend the extra is a hard sell.

Right now i think Knight should stick to what they did best, compete in the upper ranks and cater to the enthusiasts until they begin to show a profit. Competing with off shore products that get dumped at rock bottom prices a year later is a SOB.
I feel the break action is here to stay and will dominate the market. i also agree with you on the vision with a few modifications.the imports are not cheap anymore either.have you seen what there asking for the traditions rifles? IMHO there on the wrong track, time will tell..nuff said.. Ray