Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Excellent example of a Working Bullet... >

Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Not sure what the proper name for it is; but something happens when a bullet, especially a large diameter bullet, strikes a game animal. i've hit deer and hogs too far back but the animal bang flopped anyway. Despite being hit in the guts; a few times the liver, diaphragm, heart and lungs were destroyed by some kind of shock or were shredded by bullet fragments.

Last week i shot a 190 pound sow with my Encore, 100 grains of 3F Pinnacle and the 250 grain Shockwave bullet. The bullet hit just behind the diaphragm. The liver and lungs were mush. Judging from the exit hole, the bullet exited in one piece.

Not M/L Related:
Lots of folks make fun of us guys who use the .223/5.56mm rifle on wild hogs. Well, so far this year i've killed over 30 hogs using my AR-15 and CZ 527 rifles. Not one hog has gotten away and only two needed a second shot. i use the US military M193 ball round. That bullet penetrates about 5-6", yaws 90 degrees and fragments,
leaving tremendous damage.

5.56mm wound ballistics from Col. Martin Fackler:

http://bajaarizona.org/fklr/fklr.html
If you get the chance to watch the Barnes DVD about their bullets they have a super slow mo of a buck getting hit and you can visably see his entire body cavity expand like some one stuck an air hose in his behind from the energy expended by the bullet when it entered him. It looked like a small bomb went off inside of him.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

It looked like a small bomb went off inside of him.
i've seen this happen more than once when a headon pig or a coyote was hit in the chest with a bullet. For a split second they inflate and then deflate.