Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
won a CVA Optima need some help >

won a CVA Optima need some help

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

won a CVA Optima need some help

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Spike

Default won a CVA Optima need some help

so i won this gun and know im going to start shooting it so what kind of stuff do i need to get like primers,powder,bullets,scope, and other stuff and i thought what better place to ask than here open to anything thanks guys
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on your Optima!!! Last summer a "friend of a friend" brought his new stainless black thumbhole Optima to the range to start experimenting with loads. I've never owned a CVA but i must say i was pretty darn impressed with it. The stock felt good when i held it up to my cheek. I shoot long guns left-handed due to a dominant left eye so i really liked that ambidextrous thumbhole stock. I was getting ready to leave the range when he showed up so i dont know what type of loads he tried out. All i do know is he had a bottle of Blackhorn 209 with him, lol. Stand by, the CVA guys will fix you right up. Enjoy your new rifle! -Q

Last edited by quake; 02-17-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh my, a CVA Optima. They're dangerous. Send me a pm and I will give you my address so I can dispose of it so you don't get hurt.
But if you REALLY want to shoot it you will need primers. Any type of 209 primer will work. Powder. I assume it is a 50 cal so Pyrodex RS should be fine. A powder measure and a short starter. And bullets. Here is a delemia. There is a lot of bullets you can use. I might suggest buying Hornady 300 gr .451" diameter bullets and Harvester Black Crush Rib sabots or (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Powerbelt bullets in 245 or 295 gr.
First thing is to give the rifle a good cleaning.
Now, start with 80 grains (by volume, not weight) of powder.Pour it down the muzzle. Start your bullet of choice or bullet/sabot combo into the bore. Push it in with the short starter then seat the rest of the way with the ramrod. A constant firm push should be all that is needed. Now, IMPORTANT, place a reference mark on the ramrod so you know when the bullet is seated on the charge. (any space between the charge and the bullet can be dangerous as it acts as a barrel obstruction). Next, open the action and install the primer. Close the action and you're ready to shoot. Get in position, c0ck the hammer and fire away.
Also, it is a good idea to get into the habit of blowing into the muzzle after every shot to 'burn up' any embers that linger in the barrel. You don't want to pour powder down a barrel with a red hot ember in it. If you do, you will be in for the surprise of you life. Not to mention burnt fingers, eyebrows, and any facial hair if you got any.
In an effort to determine the most accurate load it is advisable to shoot at least 3 shots with each charge, swabbing the bore between shots. Some guys swab with an alcohol patch, some with Windex and some use just a spit patch. This gets rid of the majority of the fouling from the previous shot.
Now you will also need a 50 caliber cleaning jag, a good cleaning rod, lots of patches and a black powder cleaning solvent, breech plug grease (or automotive anti-sieze) and a quality gun oil.
Please don't wait to buy the cleaning supplies. These firearms can't sit long after being fired as they will corrode in a hurry. Then accuracy goes down hill.
Good luck and welcome.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-06-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Spike

it is a 50 cal so what kind of powder is the best to use american pioneer, pirodex, or tripple 7 or what other brands are there and should it be loose powder or pellets
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Pyrodex or T7 will do fine but Blackhorn209 is the best as far as never having to swab the bore between shots.

This should help you out as well. Highly recommended!
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Just do a quick search on here for CVA Optima,or Accura and you will find plenty of the information you are loking for,and congrats on your good fortune.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Oh my, a CVA Optima. They're dangerous. Send me a pm and I will give you my address so I can dispose of it so you don't get hurt. .............................There is a lot of bullets you can use. I might suggest buying Hornady 300 gr .451" diameter bullets and Harvester Black Crush Rib sabots....................
I have zero experience with Optima, However, i am concerned the crush rib may be too loose. In my Accura(s) crush rib are too loose, so i use the standard Harvester sabot with them Hornady bullet, and all other bullet too. Seems to me, that Optima should be given to me, not you, bein's how i don't have one.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I DID have an Optima, I used 245 gr Powerbelts with excellent results. Also harvested two deer with them. If I remember corectly I was using T7 pellets.(2 - 50 grainers)