Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Out with the Optima >

Out with the Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Out with the Optima

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Default Out with the Optima

Beautiful day to go shooting! 36* and zero wind which made things very pleasant. Towards the end though while i was shooting for a dead accurate group, it started snowing, nothing hard but just enough to cause the target at 100 yards to go a bit blurry.

I weighed out some 100gr charges " 71gr Weight" Blackhorn209 and figured i'd play around with the 270gr Powerbelt Platinums. These suckers would only group at 2" at 100 yards when i first got the gun and that was with a whopping 70gr charge, anything over and it opened up. I don't know what the hell i've done to it since then, maybe just the barrel breaking in but what ever happened, i loved!

And for my buddy! Builder, i know you love seeing me in my pictures so i thought of you and took for just for you

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 02-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Beautiful day to go shooting! 36* and zero wind which made things very pleasant. Towards the end though while i was shooting for a dead accurate group, it started snowing, nothing hard but just enough to cause the target at 100 yards to go a bit blurry.

I weighed out some 100gr charges " 71gr Weight" Blackhorn209 and figured i'd play around with the 270gr Powerbelt Platinums. These suckers would only group at 2" at 100 yards when i first got the gun and that was with a whopping 70gr charge, anything over and it opened up. I don't know what the hell i've done to it since then, maybe just the barrel breaking in but what ever happened, i loved!

And for my buddy! Builder, i know you love seeing me in my pictures so i thought of you and took for just for you
Hey there buddy,i would expect nothing less from you.hell you even included pics of your rifle.i am a lil disappointed though,you forgot the CVA logo on the butt stock on a side note,what's your impressions of the Bushnell DOA scope? Ray
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Oh thats a Konus scope. I meant to reply to you about the DOA scope. That Aerolite test i posted earlier was from another using helping us out with the testing.

Heres a pretty detailed review on the DOA by one of my forum members though.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powergui...r-scope-review

Nope, no CVA sticker on the Stock LOL. I am working on my own logo for it however LOL. Or at least my forums name and maybe something simple like a set of antlers.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh thats a Konus scope. I meant to reply to you about the DOA scope. That Aerolite test i posted earlier was from another using helping us out with the testing.

Heres a pretty detailed review on the DOA by one of my forum members though.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powergui...r-scope-review

Nope, no CVA sticker on the Stock LOL. I am working on my own logo for it however LOL. Or at least my forums name and maybe something simple like a set of antlers.
I read that review,what is your overall impression on the DOA ? Ray
Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

i dont have a DOA so i couldnt tell you. Ive been looking at one along with a redfield so maybe one of these days i can buy one or the other and see how they are.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Out with the Optima"

When I saw that topic I thought ol` MountainDevil had finally lost his mind. I worried his next thread might be "Out with Powerbelts".
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

I need to get some damn thors! If this gun gets any more accurate i may end up selling the thing due to boredom LOL.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to get some damn thors! If this gun gets any more accurate i may end up selling the thing due to boredom LOL.
don't say that stuff, last rifle I bought from you almost got me killed lol
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

MD have you ever tried the Gold Dots or Lehigh's. I don't know if you have so if you have sorry for asking. What about longer shots? ever 200-300yds?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

havent shot 200 yards with these bullets yet. I have with the 295s and they grouped right at 1.5" @ 200.

300 yards is out of the question for me as i would never shoot that far with a muzzy. Its challenging enough with a centerfire LOL.

Ive some some lehighs in the past, but nothing recently.

Now i have tested some 300gr gold dots in my Optima without a sabot, using the bigger .500" speer and shooting them like a conical. Good results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.