HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Out with the Optima (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/339671-out-optima.html)

MountainDevil54 02-05-2011 12:12 PM

Out with the Optima

Beautiful day to go shooting! 36* and zero wind which made things very pleasant. Towards the end though while i was shooting for a dead accurate group, it started snowing, nothing hard but just enough to cause the target at 100 yards to go a bit blurry.

I weighed out some 100gr charges " 71gr Weight" Blackhorn209 and figured i'd play around with the 270gr Powerbelt Platinums. These suckers would only group at 2" at 100 yards when i first got the gun and that was with a whopping 70gr charge, anything over and it opened up. I don't know what the hell i've done to it since then, maybe just the barrel breaking in but what ever happened, i loved!

And for my buddy! Builder, i know you love seeing me in my pictures so i thought of you and took for just for you :woot:

builder459 02-05-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3769251)
Beautiful day to go shooting! 36* and zero wind which made things very pleasant. Towards the end though while i was shooting for a dead accurate group, it started snowing, nothing hard but just enough to cause the target at 100 yards to go a bit blurry.

I weighed out some 100gr charges " 71gr Weight" Blackhorn209 and figured i'd play around with the 270gr Powerbelt Platinums. These suckers would only group at 2" at 100 yards when i first got the gun and that was with a whopping 70gr charge, anything over and it opened up. I don't know what the hell i've done to it since then, maybe just the barrel breaking in but what ever happened, i loved!

And for my buddy! Builder, i know you love seeing me in my pictures so i thought of you and took for just for you :woot:

Hey there buddy,i would expect nothing less from you.hell you even included pics of your rifle.i am a lil disappointed though,you forgot the CVA logo on the butt stock :cool2: on a side note,what's your impressions of the Bushnell DOA scope? Ray

MountainDevil54 02-05-2011 12:26 PM

Oh thats a Konus scope. I meant to reply to you about the DOA scope. That Aerolite test i posted earlier was from another using helping us out with the testing.

Heres a pretty detailed review on the DOA by one of my forum members though.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powergui...r-scope-review

Nope, no CVA sticker on the Stock LOL. I am working on my own logo for it however LOL. Or at least my forums name and maybe something simple like a set of antlers.

builder459 02-05-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3769261)
Oh thats a Konus scope. I meant to reply to you about the DOA scope. That Aerolite test i posted earlier was from another using helping us out with the testing.

Heres a pretty detailed review on the DOA by one of my forum members though.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powergui...r-scope-review

Nope, no CVA sticker on the Stock LOL. I am working on my own logo for it however LOL. Or at least my forums name and maybe something simple like a set of antlers.

I read that review,what is your overall impression on the DOA ? Ray

MountainDevil54 02-05-2011 12:46 PM

i dont have a DOA so i couldnt tell you. Ive been looking at one along with a redfield so maybe one of these days i can buy one or the other and see how they are.

Semisane 02-05-2011 01:29 PM

"Out with the Optima"

When I saw that topic I thought ol` MountainDevil had finally lost his mind. I worried his next thread might be "Out with Powerbelts". :s2:

MountainDevil54 02-05-2011 01:43 PM

I need to get some damn thors! If this gun gets any more accurate i may end up selling the thing due to boredom LOL.

corey012778 02-05-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3769296)
I need to get some damn thors! If this gun gets any more accurate i may end up selling the thing due to boredom LOL.

don't say that stuff, last rifle I bought from you almost got me killed lol

jaybez101099 02-05-2011 02:53 PM

MD have you ever tried the Gold Dots or Lehigh's. I don't know if you have so if you have sorry for asking. What about longer shots? ever 200-300yds?

MountainDevil54 02-05-2011 02:59 PM

havent shot 200 yards with these bullets yet. I have with the 295s and they grouped right at 1.5" @ 200.

300 yards is out of the question for me as i would never shoot that far with a muzzy. Its challenging enough with a centerfire LOL.

Ive some some lehighs in the past, but nothing recently.

Now i have tested some 300gr gold dots in my Optima without a sabot, using the bigger .500" speer and shooting them like a conical. Good results.

jaybez101099 02-05-2011 03:05 PM

1.5" at 200 thats way out of my range and grouping size. It always a good read on here when those distances are shot. I'm still on the under 100yd shots will hunting and if you averaged them over 25yrs it might be under 40yd average.

cayugad 02-05-2011 04:29 PM

Nice shooting there MD. That is a nice looking rifle.

gregrn43 02-05-2011 07:56 PM

That is some good shooting MD, dont think one could ask for much better grouping.