Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New To Muzzleloading - A Few Questions >

New To Muzzleloading - A Few Questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New To Muzzleloading - A Few Questions

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would recommend trying more than one bullet to start out, though. Part of the fun is trying a few different bullet/sabot combos. Plus, what one rifle shoots well won't always work in another. Having a couple different bullets and sabots on hand for experimenting is always a good thing. A couple other good bullets to try are:
300 Gold Dot
250 XTP
300 XTP
Barnes Expander 250 or 300

Actually, there are a lot of good bullets out there, and we all have our favorites.

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 02-04-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

For that price you got a steal. CVAs are made to shoot Powerbelts bullets, however the charges are to be reduced to say 80-90 grains of loose powder. I will be honest and have never shot them but friends at the range have I can say they have excellent results out to 150 yards. The key is not to push them too hard. I shoot 250 and 300 grain Shockwaves with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and am good out to 200 yards. Mountaindevil shoots CVA and I am sure he can put you on a great load for that gun, my friends have taken his advice and are shooting better than I on some loads.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit here so I can take it out and shoot.