Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA wolf bore diameter >

CVA wolf bore diameter

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA wolf bore diameter

Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
  #1  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default CVA wolf bore diameter

Anyone here know what the bore diameters are running on the CVA wolf rifles ? i have some .503 no excuse conicals on hand and i have someone coming out Sunday with a wolf rifle. he has a supply of variuos bullets he's bringing with him, but i thought we could give the NE's a try also.. Ray
builder459 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boncarbo,Colorado
Posts: 9,186
Default

if its the new wolf, .500 - .501

The old wolf will run the tighter .498-.499 bore.
MountainDevil54 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 View Post
if its the new wolf, .500 - .501

The old wolf will run the tighter .498-.499 bore.
wow pretty tight bored, didn't expect that.. thanks Ray
builder459 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Breechplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Chautauqua Co. N.Y.
Posts: 2,976
Default

I have owned nothing but CVA's for a long time, reguardless of the Bore Diameter wich ever it may be, the 240gr XTP's and a Harvester MMP HPH-24 Sabot have proved to be the Most Accurate out of all the CVA MLer's I have. Just My Opinion and what works for the Best Groups and Most Harvest for me.
(BP)
Breechplug is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
oldsmellhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,482
Default

Originally Posted by builder459 View Post
wow pretty tight bored, didn't expect that.. thanks Ray
I was surprised too when I got my new Wolf. When using the MMP blue .50/.40 sabot and 200 XTP's it was very difficult to get them down the barrel. Almost impossible without swabbing between shots. When using the Harvestor Crush Rib & 250 grain Gold Dots, still tight but possible to reload without swabbing.
oldsmellhound is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by Breechplug View Post
I have owned nothing but CVA's for a long time, reguardless of the Bore Diameter wich ever it may be, the 240gr XTP's and a Harvester MMP HPH-24 Sabot have proved to be the Most Accurate out of all the CVA MLer's I have. Just My Opinion and what works for the Best Groups and Most Harvest for me.
(BP)
the person coming Sunday can not use saboted bullets, where he is going to be hunting.if he could i would have no problem setting him up with sabots and a good bullet. unfortunately he has to shoot conicals, he is bringing several types with him. the NE's are just another option. Ray
builder459 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
  #7  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound View Post
I was surprised too when I got my new Wolf. When using the MMP blue .50/.40 sabot and 200 XTP's it was very difficult to get them down the barrel. Almost impossible without swabbing between shots. When using the Harvestor Crush Rib & 250 grain Gold Dots, still tight but possible to reload without swabbing.
Almost sounds like a T/C barrel
builder459 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 127
Default

Originally Posted by builder459 View Post
Almost sounds like a T/C barrel
You can say that again!

My son's Wolf shoots the 200 grain shockwave with the supplied sabot very well and fits the bore perfectly. I am not sure of the diameter of the bore or that bullet/sabot combo. I don't have any mics around here or I would measure it.
Michael396 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boncarbo,Colorado
Posts: 9,186
Default

no, this one will shoot conicals and sabots

he should give the maxi balls or maxi hunters a try in it. I doubt you'd let him shoot powerbelts so the maxi's and even the hornady great plains would be a good start.
MountainDevil54 is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yucca Valley,Ca
Posts: 2,496
Default

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 View Post
no, this one will shoot conicals and sabots

he should give the maxi balls or maxi hunters a try in it. I doubt you'd let him shoot powerbelts so the maxi's and even the hornady great plains would be a good start.
MY Triumph shoots the NE's real well.i used to shoot the maxi's out of the .54 renegade,over priced bullets. he can shoot whatever he wants, i personally feel if your going to be hunting elk with a conical use the big lead, not the 300 gr offerings. especially not a 300 gr PB now the Thor is the exception to that, those barnes are tuff bullets,just have to see how his lil wolf likes em. i think he's bringing some FPB's,Thors and some PB's which i asked him to bring so i can melt them down for wheel weights . Ray
builder459 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.