Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pyrodex RS vs. Pyrodex Select >

Pyrodex RS vs. Pyrodex Select

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex RS vs. Pyrodex Select

Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pyrodex RS vs. Pyrodex Select

I called TC to ask about recommended loads for my 50 Cal Hawken. The service rep was very insistent that I use Pyrodex Select and a Maxiball.

Cabelas only had the RS available and I bought a can. I looked on Hogdons site and they simply state the Select shoots better groups.

Can anyone tell me the difference and should I look around for a can of Select? How will RS do for a Hawken style rifle?

Also, how about a less expensive option to the Maxiballs?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

All i ever used in my .54 T/C renegade was RS, worked excellent!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

I shoot goex and rs in my hawken. I used to buy the select, but won't bother anymore. Couldn't see enough difference for the extra price myself.

I also shoot maxihunts and maxiballs and PRB's. Maxiballs work the best. On gunbroker there are guys who sell cast maxiball 50 for $20. You can buy some borebutter and lube them yourself. Or better yet buy a lyman cast and cast em yourself.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could also try no-excuse and bullshop conicals. i am sure they will send samples and i know the no- excuse run about $21.00 per 50, the bullshops are probably about the same price. just another option.. Ray
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Select is RS sent through a screen a few more times. I used to only shoot Select. Then like you, ran out and all they had was RS. So I shot that and never noticed a difference in accuracy or velocity.

A good load for your Hawkins and cheap to shoot is a roundball and 85 grains of RS powder under it. If your rifle is a .50 then use a .490 ball and a .015-.018 patch. If its a .54 use a .530 ball and the same patch and powder amount.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

select is very course so you'd be much better off using RS. RS is an excellent powder thats very consistent.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Select is RS sent through a screen a few more times. I used to only shoot Select. Then like you, ran out and all they had was RS. So I shot that and never noticed a difference in accuracy or velocity.
same here. i use to feel good buying premium gas too.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

It my understanding that Select was ran through the tigher filter allowing the fines to fall all. Select, I thought was suppose to be the more uniformly consistent powder and as such would deliever a more consistent shot to shot, since I am not a Pyro user I really am not up on the information.

Pyrodex® is a propellant designed for use in muzzleloading and black powder cartridge arms found by a competent gunsmith to be in good shootable condition.

Pyrodex® P - Pistol Powder

Pyrodex P is intended to be a direct replacement for FFFg Black powder when measured volumetrically using a black powder measure. The principal uses for Pyrodex P are in muzzleloading pistols, cap and ball revolvers, and in small bore, muzzleloading rifles.

Pyrodex® RS - Rifle/Shotgun Powder

Pyrodex RS can be used in all calibers of percussion muzzleloading rifles and shotguns. It has a wide application of uses and is the most versatile powder in the Pyrodex line. Like all grades of Pyrodex, it burns cleaner and produces less fouling than blackpowder. RS compares to 2F blackpowder on a particle size basis.

Pyrodex® Select - Select Rifle/Shotgun Powder

Select is an enhancement of our RS grade of Pyrodex. Using RS or 2F data in a volumetric measure, Select can significantly reduce group size. Wonderful news to the deer hunter is that Select performs well with sabots and conical bullets. Select has also become a favorite among many blackpowder cartridge shooters because of its exceptional consistency. For target use it is the "best of the best".

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-28-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have shot Select and RS side-by-side - same gun, charge and bullet. Didn't see any difference.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago i burned a lot of Pyrodex RS and Select trying to find out what the difference is. Fired measured loads of both into the same groups at 100 yards. Only difference i saw was in the price. Select is not worth the extra $4.00 per pound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.