Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cold Blueing

Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cold Blueing

I did something stupid and dipped the end of my Hawken Barrel in Evapo-Rust.

I was trying to get the rust off from around the nipple in a restoration project on a neglected barrel. Well, I got the rust but also took the blueing off the bottom inch of the barrel. I've seached the forum but can't find mutch info.

Anyone have a suggestion for cold blueing to best match the rest of the barrel? The remainder of the barrel looks like new.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=897836
The birchwood casey cold blue works well also.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Factory blueing and the blueing you do might not match perfectly but it should be close. I used Hoppe's gun blue on my Renegade. See the pictures on my thred Striped and blued. I went to a NAPA auto parts place to get that Evapo Rust and the guy said he never heard of it. Where did you get it from?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit View Post
Factory blueing and the blueing you do might not match perfectly but it should be close. I used Hoppe's gun blue on my Renegade. See the pictures on my thred Striped and blued. I went to a NAPA auto parts place to get that Evapo Rust and the guy said he never heard of it. Where did you get it from?
Pluckit,

I'll be happy with "close ".

My O'Reilly auto parts store had Evapo-Rust in two different sizes. Plus about three other like products.

The stuff works great but caution should be used to not expose any surface you don't want stripped.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Spike

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...XPHO_BLUE_reg_
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

I think pretty much all cold blues will give you a slightly different hue. That being said, I had pretty good success matching a bare patch on my Sako rifle using Vans instant blue. Follow the instructions closely, and you can stop the bluing process when you reach the darkness you want.

http://www.vansgunblue.com/