Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ethical deer muzzleloader hunting >

Ethical deer muzzleloader hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ethical deer muzzleloader hunting

Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I think i would disagree with most of what you have said here. I do not have these problems with the ML I choose to shoot but my self imposed max in the area of 200 yards...

I am sure you would. No big surprise. Met many a person like you. I have put up the challenge to them, lets meet in the morning and you get one shot, only one, from a cold bore at 200 yards to hit within a 4" circle. I have won this bet a few times now. Only lost once. And then he couldn't do it again on the second shot.

Any shooter, especially long range shooters who have bedded guns understand about unbedding a long range rifle. This is the reason many gunsmiths worry about proper torque on action screws. But folks like you think the ML is immune to these effects.

Last edited by bigcountryextreme; 01-24-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO: Taking the shot has much more to do with common sense than ethics. My shots are usually limited to 100 yards. If i have a good rest, good light, good wind conditions and if the animal is in the right position; i will sometimes take a longer shot.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
I am sure you would. No big surprise. Met many a person like you. I have put up the challenge to them, lets meet in the morning and you get one shot, only one, from a cold bore at 200 yards to hit within a 4" circle. I have won this bet a few times now. Only lost once. And then he couldn't do it again on the second shot.

Any shooter, especially long range shooters who have bedded guns understand about unbedding a long range rifle. This is the reason many gunsmiths worry about proper torque on action screws. But folks like you think the ML is immune to these effects.
You probably should take in account - experiance level of the shooter - we are not all 'babes' or inexperienced as you might think.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care if you unbed a rem700, the POI most likely will be off. Along with the bedding issues, you got the powder issues, like 777 being so hydroscopic and changing pOI over time.

Two reasons why I never take my Knight LRH out of the stock. And the fact that I swore off of T-7 over a year ago. That T-7 is far too inconsistent for me to ever use it agian. Back to good old 3F BP for me. And a heavy conical.

Long distance and ethics IMO do not correlate.

What is a good shot for one person is not a good shot for another when it comes to distance.

I practice alot with my Knight rifles. I feel completely confident to 150 yards with my open sighted Knight MK-85. I feel completely confident to 225 or 250 with my Knight LRH.

But I would only take a shot like this under ideal conditions. When conditions worsen, the distance gets shorter, vastly shorter. And to me a shot at running deer is unethical, regardless of distance. And alot of guys shoot at running deer, but I don't. But I would not call a guy shooting at a running deer at 50 yards unethical, however I would never take that shot. I even avoid a brisk walk shot. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 01-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You probably should take in account - experiance level of the shooter - we are not all 'babes' or inexperienced as you might think.
No doubt, there are a few on here I would not be so eager to place that bet with. Been on here since 1999, and its easy to spot the experienced shooters.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Two reasons why I never take my Knight LRH out of the stock. And the fact that I swore off of T-7 over a year ago. That T-7 is far too inconsistent for me to ever use it agian. Back to good old 3F BP for me. And a heavy conical.

Smart man.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Minute of deer at 200 yards is not 4 inches. Minute of deer at 200 yards is 10". And that takes you back to the old 8" pie plate scenario that so many people adhere to. And personally I see no problem with the minute of pie plate theory. If you can keep all your first cold bore shots in a pie plate at 200 yards then you are more than adequate of taking a deer with every shot. Not sure where 4" comes into play. Unless we are talking about minute of ground hog?? Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 01-24-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smart man.

The main reason why I like my LRH(other than the fact that it is a Knight) is because of the stock. I have not had the stock bedded yet. But it is mated very well from the factory to the stock. And the stock is on the heavy side(so is the entire rifle). I personally like that extra strength of the stock and how the action is mated to the stock. I would have bedded the action if it was necessary. But so far with shooting to 225 to 250 it has shown no need to be bedded. I am hoping to get my leg better in the near future ad spend a good bit of time at the range with my LRH out to 300 yards this summer. Only time will tell. Buy my 525 grain heavy conical has shown great results so far to 225 or so.

And the Leupold B&C reticle has also worked great. I hope it works to 300, but only a good bit of bench time will answer that question. But I will admit I have been thinking a good bit about buying one of the new Leupold VX-3's with the new CDS reticle. I think that knob would be the berries for an accurate MZ?? Tom.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I felt terrible after taking the shot. I knew I had made an unethical shot. I really had no right to attempt that. Even though I had practiced.
I don't think shooting at that range was unethical at all, for you. You missed the brain, but consider that, had you been aiming at the lungs, you would have hit the heart/lungs area perfectly. A head shot is a risky shot no matter the range.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

wow this thread kinda veered off in a hurry lol, i guess when you say the word "ethics" it brings out the knives. Made me want to go back and clarify my post....i can hit minute of deer at 200 with my prohunter no problem, and it has the energy at 200. Id say it was unethical to shoot a deer at any range you havent practiced to see if you could hit consistently....and also to shoot a deer at any range where your bullet is iffy on killing power (i try to stay above 1000 ft lbs). Like some i also wont shoot at an unwounded running deer unless its pretty close, why....because ive never practiced running shots on a target at 100 or 200 yards....if i ever get a chance and get consistent then it will get added to my quiver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.