Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
GOLD DOT at 200 YARD >

GOLD DOT at 200 YARD

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GOLD DOT at 200 YARD

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GOLD DOT at 200 YARD

The load was 90g BH209 by weight, which supposedly is 128.6g by volume. The bullet was the 270g Gold Dot in a Harvester smooth sabot, and the primer was the STS. The 3 hole at the bottom were fired from a measured 198 yard; the top 5 hole were shot from 102 yard. The bottom target was the aim.

The bottom 3 were fired first and they were perhaps the 17th, 18th, and 19th shots from a cold dirty rifle, and breech plug. Then the 5 were shot. There was a swirling breeze happening during the shoot, but it wasn't too bad most of the time. Snow flakes fell left to right, and right to left and toward. The shoot was done from the cab of my truck with my right elbow on the steering wheel and the rifle on a home made window rest.

When i made the move from 200 to 100 yard, i managed to load a bullet with no powder. For the first time i experienced why one might like having a breech plug that didn't require a tool to remove. Another plus, was dealing with the plug without any grease or teflon tape on it.

Near as i can remember, the plug has had a total of 26 shots fired through it. Note the home made stainless steel vent liner, which is the same as the one in the breech plug. The flash hole is 0.029" inch, and the flame channel is 1/8".

Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting at that yardage. looks like the BP is working really well also.!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some very impressive shooting. I could tell you had a slight left to right wind. One of these days I am going to have to try shooting that far.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Great shooting Ron. Is that a OEM breech plug you installed a vent liner in?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokey92
Great shooting Ron. Is that a OEM breech plug you installed a vent liner in?
Yes it is. At one time i was making a QRBP, but hunting came along, and then i found the blow by around the primer was nil, so it seemed the OEM plug was going to do. Then, because the primers were expanding so much when fired, i shimmed out the firing pin bushing. Since the OEM plug now works about as perfect as one could expect; making a plug isn't as interesting as it was in the beginning.