Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabot in a Flintlock >

Sabot in a Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot in a Flintlock

Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Spike

Default Sabot in a Flintlock

With all the talk lately about bullets and sabots. I thought i would put this out here. I built my TC flintlock back in 1978. The info that came with the kit said not to use sabots. Now i live and hunt in Pa. and the laws have changed some over the years. We can now use fiber optic sights and any bullet. (Still not allowed to use a scope.) So with that being said. How many of you use a sabot in your flinter? Now i've seen the ones for the round ball, but i'm asking about useing some that you would use in your inline. I got to thinking that maybe it was only because there is no breach plug in case it dosen't fire after a few trys. It would be a bear for sure to try and pull a solid copper bullet out with a ball puller. What say you?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

if its a 1/48" twist it will shoot 240-250grain pistol bullets well i bet.and if you use all lead or jacketed hollow points you would be able to get a good purchase with a ball puller.you can also remove the touchhole liner and load enough powder to shoot the load out(do not ask how i know )..........karl
Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kb1
if its a 1/48" twist it will shoot 240-250grain pistol bullets well i bet.and if you use all lead or jacketed hollow points you would be able to get a good purchase with a ball puller.you can also remove the touchhole liner and load enough powder to shoot the load out(do not ask how i know )..........karl
I know how you know. Your ram rod went passed the loaded mark didn't it? LOL Your not the 1st to do it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have a t/c flinter made in 1977 50 cal. and it will tack drive R/B with high charges of 3F Goex 90 to 100 grains of powder.I would say the shallow lands in the t/c barrel (or I should say Douglas barrel) seem not to shoot that well with light powder charges.
I tried a few lead bullet/sabot in the flinter 325 gr. 260 gr. lead sabot bullet with 85 gr. of F goex all I can say it also tack drives these bullets into the same hole.
My flinter is set up with a rear peep sight,I use to late season hunt the PA. season but I use a 54 cal. renegade that had open sight :again built from a kit Gun back in the 70.'s
I finished last year a but together renegade 54 flinter with a 1 in 66 twist 230 gr R/B behind 95 Gr. of 3F goex and it a tack driver.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes, some 1-48 twists will shoot sabots in the 250 and less range very well. A few weeks ago I was even shooting some 185 grain Speer Deep Curl in a 40/50 sabot combination and I was really kind of shocked at how well it shot them.

All you can do is try sabot combination's and see what will happen.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Spike

All you can do is try sabot combination's and see what will happen.[/QUOTE]

Thats why i'm asking. Don't want anything bad to happen. Not sure what pressures this barrle can handle.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 250 gr Shock Wave bullets with a Harvester Crush Rib sabot with good success out of my t/c flinter. I really don't see why the manual would tell you you couldn't use a saboted bullet. That sounds strange.
I just went on to the T/C site and looked at the manual for the Hawken and it lists loads for both the percussion and flinter for saboted bullets.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-19-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I shoot 250 gr Shock Wave bullets with a Harvester Crush Rib sabot with good success out of my t/c flinter. I really don't see why the manual would tell you you couldn't use a saboted bullet. That sounds strange.
when they sat not to use sabots, they very well may have meant, the type used for round balls.the ones with a cup and "no" petals like sabots have now.they were considered dangerous.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by builder459
when they sat not to use sabots, they very well may have meant, the type used for round balls.the ones with a cup and "no" petals like sabots have now.they were considered dangerous.
This very well could be the reason.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GRAY WHISKERS
This very well could be the reason.
give some Gold dot/ Deep curls or Xtp pistol bullets a try. with a crushed rib or mmp-24 sabot. may surprise you! Ray