Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Glass Bedded The Black Diamond Action >

Glass Bedded The Black Diamond Action

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Glass Bedded The Black Diamond Action

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Glass Bedded The Black Diamond Action

The TC Black Diamond is a super good gun. However, many of them have a problem: When you take the stock off and re-install it the gun might shoot to a different POI.

The problem is in the way that TC went about floating the barrel: The rear bearing surface on the stock is lower than the front bearing surface. When the rear action screw is snugged down the barrel raises up.

Yesterday i bedded the action into the stock using Acra Glas Jel. First i sanded the bearing surfaces well so the gel would stick. Was careful to build up the rear bearing surface in the stock with the gel. The action screws were snugged down tight and put the gun aside.

Took it apart this morning and cleaned it up. Looks good.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Any chance a few pics, Im interested as Im sure others are.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im glad you brought this up,,,there's so many different ways a MLer's Stock, Forearm or a complete one Piece Stock are connected to the MLer. After you take your MLer apart for Cleaning and reassamble it you have to have everything exactly as it was befor you took it apart or you'll be off when shooting. Sometimes when Im shooting a certain MLer and it's right on I leave it togeather if possible and clean it that way so I know nothing's gonna change. If you dont have the exact tightness on your Lug Screw as befor things might change.
Yea a Pic of the Glass Bedding Job would be nice to see
(BP)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

First photo is my rifle. It has the Burris Short Mag 4X scope.

There is really not much to see of the bedding: It is green in the photo. There is about 1/16" of glass on the rear bearing surface and much less on the front one. But it did firm things up very well.

Wish the rifle had a wood stock.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Looks Good

I have had my Black Diamond for a number of years and love it except for the aggravation of cleaning it. You have to take a screw driver to remove the large screw and spring in the back of the bolt. Then you have to use that wrench supplied by TC to take the nipple and breech plug out. It can be a little aggravating with a scope on top for sure.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Then you have to use that wrench supplied by TC to take the nipple and breech plug out. It can be a little aggravating with a scope on top for sure.
That wrench is about totally useless. i use a long 1/4" drive socket with an extension to get the breech plug out. For removing the musket cap nipple i use the long steel bar wrench that came with a CVA gun.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

A 7/16th I believe long socket and a 8 inch extension for your socket will get you in the back of the rifle and you don't have to take the scope off. Be sure to pull back on the trigger to slip that socket over the trigger assembly.