Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
FPB - loss of accuracy >

FPB - loss of accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FPB - loss of accuracy

Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

johnnyo

Personally I would start with a good cleaniong of the bore as already suggested - but I would skip the Hoppes #9 stuff and go right to JB's bore paste. It is a lot more effecient at cleaning the bore.... Hoppes will help maintain but I think you are beyond maintenance - you need to work on the bore.

One other thing I might suggest.... with a really good pin light look at the bottom of the QLA where the crown is and see if you have any material from the FPB shaved off and caught in that area... Since the crown is internal make sure you get that cleaned also...
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

did they load any harder than the previous FPB's you shot?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
did they load any harder than the previous FPB's you shot?
actually, easier... maybe too easy!? the thought did cross my mind, that I had a bad batch of bullets.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

hornady did have a number of bullets that went out bad. They were the ones that loaded to hard. I think i had a batch of them. Maybe yours preferred the harder loading bullets.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
johnnyo

Personally I would start with a good cleaniong of the bore as already suggested - but I would skip the Hoppes #9 stuff and go right to JB's bore paste. It is a lot more effecient at cleaning the bore.... Hoppes will help maintain but I think you are beyond maintenance - you need to work on the bore.

One other thing I might suggest.... with a really good pin light look at the bottom of the QLA where the crown is and see if you have any material from the FPB shaved off and caught in that area... Since the crown is internal make sure you get that cleaned also...
I'll give a good scrub and clean with the #9. need to track down some bore paste.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

posting photo of the post-cleaning shoot.

80 and 90gr of bh209, w209 primers, 55 paces - shooting over sand bags on the back of my pickup. cold -10 c plus chill/cross wind

details to follow - i keep losing my internet connection
Attached Thumbnails FPB - loss of accuracy-350fpbjan11-11-90grbh209.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by johnnyo
posting photo of the post-cleaning shoot.

80 and 90gr of bh209, w209 primers, 55 paces - shooting over sand bags on the back of my pickup. cold -10 c plus chill/cross wind

details to follow - i keep losing my internet connection

I would think that the 90 gr load is your load. Good shooting. I have been to Canada a few times and love the place. But never in hte winter months.

One of theses days I will make it up there in the fall for a deer hunt.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Okay, I wasn't going to get my hands on some bore paste, anytime soon so... after giving the bore a good scrub with #9, I took the plunge and tried a recipe of 50/50 vinegar/hydrogen peroxide.

plugged the breach plug and filled the bore. First for about 3 minutes, then agian for about 10 minutes. The longer session stripped the lead off. I had some flash rusting after I drained the barrel, but swabbing again with #9 cleaned that up and everything looked good.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
I would think that the 90 gr load is your load. Good shooting. I have been to Canada a few times and love the place. But never in hte winter months.

One of theses days I will make it up there in the fall for a deer hunt.
Thanks, the shooting conditions weren't great, but I'm relieved that I've solved the problem. A guy could loss sleep over this.

I can't really complain about the weather. -10 c isn't bad for January, especially with the sun.