Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you use for a muzzle cover to protect loaded MZ? >

What do you use for a muzzle cover to protect loaded MZ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you use for a muzzle cover to protect loaded MZ?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Spike

Default What do you use for a muzzle cover to protect loaded MZ?

Curious to know how (or what) you use to protect your loaded MZ? I have seen an item called a "barrel boot" - which looks pretty cool. Please send links or be as descriptive as possible about what works for you. Looking for something that can be taken off really easy in the field when the time comes to pull the trigger.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are lots of different things to use, but what I used a finge that I cut off of a rubber glove. Worked great, and I can shoot right thru it with no worries. I work at a paint shop, and can just grab a couple of rubber gloves from work.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link where you can buy them in a pkg of 20:

http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-choke...rel-cots.shtml

There are cheaper places you can get them, but I usually order a lot of stuff from Cabelas, so I just add on something like this.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a piece of Masking Tape cut in a circle about the size of a quarter or a tad bigger. I wipe the muzzle end with alcohol befor I apply it to the end and it sticks great, keeps out moisture and debris and you dont have to remove it to shoot. I just overlap the Tape slightly over the Muzzle End and work in around it.
And no I have never had a pice of masking tape get (puntcured) by anything and I go into some thick brush. Also Rain and Snow have no effect on the Tape it's pretty durable.
Now I know some use Finger Cots or Barrel Mits BUT when applied they (cover) part of the front sight on the Barrel, and if you need to use your Open Sights the Muzzle Mit or Finger Cot is in the way, the Tape is not seen when looking through your sights. A roll of Masking Tape is cheap and I think the last roll I used took me about 10 years to use up.
(BP)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

EEElectrical tape
Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bonner1
Curious to know how (or what) you use to protect your loaded MZ? I have seen an item called a "barrel boot" - which looks pretty cool. Please send links or be as descriptive as possible about what works for you. Looking for something that can be taken off really easy in the field when the time comes to pull the trigger.
I have used a lot of different types of muzzle protection...

This one os by the best IMO... it is thicker and much more durable...

http://www.bighornproducts.com/ultim...protection.htm

BIGHORN PRODUCTS, LLC
515 S. Pinnacle Dr.
Buffalo, Wyoming 82834
[email protected]
Old 01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

ballons from the dollar store... choose your colour!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Spike

YUP balloons, I put 2 over the end of ANY gun I hunt with. #1 you DO NOT have remove befor the shot as the will not effect the shot placement. #2 if it's on there it is a good reminder that the gun is loaded, especially for a young or inexperianced hunter. #3 THEY ARE CHEAP!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I use electrical tape. make an x with 2 peices over the end of the muzzle. Then wrap around the muzzle with a peice to keep them from coming loose. Shoot right through it, works good for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.