Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Crud in the bottom of barrel when using t7 pellets? >

Crud in the bottom of barrel when using t7 pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud in the bottom of barrel when using t7 pellets?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the reply's. I used to use goex ffg, but got tired of the smell. I just wanted to try something new. I like the convienence of just dropping pellets down the barrel, and not measuring out powder, and the no smell, and easy clean up after the hunt.....(besides the crud ring) lol. I've never missed a deer with the t7 pellets, so I will just stic with it I suppose for now. I'm pretty happy with the way it shoots. I might in the offseason try out the bh powder you guys are talking about. Now one of you said something about vari-flame adapters, and .25 acp brass? What exactly are you meaning? I've never heard of this? Can someone explain this more. Does it really cut down on the crud ring? Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

When I used the T7 pellets I hated the crud ring and a second shot was very difficult without swabbing.I went to loose T7 and it was a little better and finally I used JB bore paste and did the barrel then followed up with Montana X bore conditioner and it almost eliminated the crud ring. by then I was finally able to find a local shop who had BH 209 and I haven't gone back to the T7.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

[quote
Does anyone have a remedy for this, or know how to stop it? Thanks for any and all help.[/quote]
I shoot a Nosler partition in a MMP-hph24 sabot.I shoot a tight bore TC Omega.For my reloads,when hunting,I switch sabots to MMP 3 petal EZ.I also use 777/3fg powder.The crud ring is still there,but with the thinner sabot,I can reload one time without swabbing.At the range I swab after every shot.My rifle is sighted on a clean barrel,with a light coat of Remoil applied after loading.

Charlie
Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

A vari-flame adapter uses pistol brass along with the installed pistol primer to ignite the charge.

In my percussion I use Pyrodex Select....smell not bad, smoke not bad. Easy clean up.

In my 209 inline I use Blackhorn 209...no smell, very little smoke, can shoot a lot between swabbing, easy clean up. With BH209 use CCI209M, Federal209A, Remington STS, or Winchchester209W primers.
I just gave away 2 box's of 50gr pellets.

Last edited by smokey92; 01-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mondoman86
......................................Now one of you said something about vari-flame adapters, and .25 acp brass? What exactly are you meaning? I've never heard of this? Can someone explain this more. Does it really cut down on the crud ring? Thanks
Here is information about the VariFlame adapter.

Here is information about the 25 acp conversion.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

My rifle is sighted on a clean barrel,with a light coat of Remoil applied after loading.
Hey Chasam, I load for a hunt on a clean barrel also - then apply a light oil patch followed by a dry patch. Because of this, my final sight in session involves fully cleaning the bore between shots so as to get my clean barrel point of impact exactly where I want it. So I've fired a lot of clean bore shots that way.

Now I can't prove this, but it's my opinion that RemOil with teflon gives me more crud than a light oil without teflon. That may be my imagination, but I no longer use RemOil in my muzzle loader bores.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Here is an experiment for you.... get some Teflon and burn it. See what you have then - it is really sticky - but do not breath the fumes from the burning Teflon can be poisoness...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same issue with Remoil in the bore. After i quit using it and gave it a good cleaning, the issue went away. It was especially bad with T7 mag pellets. Now that mine have been treated with MX Conditioner for the last year im going to give T7 loose another try.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Semisane

Here is an experiment for you.... get some Teflon and burn it. See what you have then - it is really sticky - but do not breath the fumes from the burning Teflon can be poisoness...
Hey Semisane, I think Sabotloader's trying to get even with you for calling him a Sucker in that other Post
(BP)
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

for calling him a Sucker in that other Post
Aw Breechplug. I didn't actually call him a sucker. I said I have his address in my SUCKER file. That file contains contact info on a lot of guys from this forum (including you).

The file label is short for Superb, Unselfish, Classy, Knowledgeable & Extraordinary Rascals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.