Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

round ball day

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default round ball day

Took the ol 54 mountain stalker out just to mess around with. I wanted to try 80gr 3f JSG .018 pillow tick patch and the .530 round ball. Did okay at 50 yards for three shots.

Next i switched to 90gr 3f JSG, .530 round ball and .015 tc patches. Took 3 more shots "left side" The lone shot to the far right was from 72 yards.

I really like that JSG but with the thicker patches, i think it needs a heavier load to tighten it up a bit. Worked excellent with the .015 patches!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would call that EXCELLENT.

I find shooting patched balls about a much fun as anything.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Man this sucks! I like the cheap bulk pillow tick but cutting them out just plain ol sucks. Makes me almost want to spend the $8 for the premade patches... Almost.

Going to try them unlubed tomorrow and see how accuracy is and how they load up on a fouled bore.

I agree semi, round balls are a lot of fun to shoot for some reason, i just cant figure it out. Maybe because its so simple yet effective that it makes you shake your head and cackle to yourself.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

it makes you shake your head and cackle to yourself.
You too?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely him too.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Going to try them unlubed tomorrow and see how accuracy is and how they load up on a fouled bore.
I would not recommend the unlubed patch/fouled bore approach Devil. That's looking for grief.

You will get away with it most of the time if you're damp swabbing the bore between shots. But sooner or later you'll be looking for a hammer to seat a ball that's stuck two-thirds of the way down.

You might try my method. Wet a stack of patches with olive oil. Massage the stack between your fingers to get the oil distributed. Let them sit a little while for the fibers to take up the oil evenly. Then wrap the stack in some paper towels and squeeze the heck out of them so the towels soak up the excess oil and the patches feel almost dry. I've had pretty good luck with olive oil patches. They are about all I use these days.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting there