Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Performance Report - 250 Grain Gold Dot >

Performance Report - 250 Grain Gold Dot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Performance Report - 250 Grain Gold Dot

Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Performance Report - 250 Grain Gold Dot

If you've seen my "Sheriff Seeks Second Sinful Sister" report you already know I've accomplished my goal of putting a 250 grain Gold Dot into a deer.

It's inappropriate to draw conclusions from one experience, but here's a report of my experience and thoughts.

The bullet was launched with 95 grains of GOEX FFFg. While I have not chronographed that load in this gun, my experience chronographing similar loads in other guns leads me to believe the muzzle velocity is probably just over 1600 fps. If that's correct, velocity at the 125 yard point of impact would be just below 1200 fps. That's about the velocity of a very hot loaded 45 Colt cartridge out of a beefy Ruger revolver at the muzzle.

Here's where the shot hit.

The bullet clipped the rear of the right leg, center hit a rib going in, took out the top half of the heart and everything around it, center hit a rib going out, entered the inside center of the left front leg, blew the leg bone apart, and lodged in fragments under the skin of the off side shoulder. The deer traveled 40 yards after the shot (perhaps a tad less) and left no blood trail that I could detect.

Here's the tissue damage.

How an animal could run with that kind of damage is just amazing. The leg bone and much of the shoulder on her left side were destroyed. But when she ran off of the food plot I could see no indication that her leg wasn't functioning normally.

Here are the remains of the bullet found under the off-side skin.

That wide hollow point bullet destroyed itself. I hit closer to the shoulder than I wanted (hate ruining shoulder meat) and the damage was greater than I expected.

I would put full confidence in the 250 Deep Curl/Gold Dot to put a whitetail down with authority and wouldn't hesitate to use it out to 175 yards or so if the right shot presented itself.

Still, I think I will favor the 300 grain Gold Dot and expect a little less damage with slower expansion. However, I've never recovered a 300 from a deer because they have always passed through, and have never hit that same spot with a 300. So any comparison of damage is only speculation on my part.

Here's a short video of the shot. It's of poor quality and I apologize for that. I shot it with my little Nikon Coolpix S550. Though it has somewhat limited telephoto ability it usually takes a pretty good video. But I didn't realize that I had the Continuous Auto Focus feature turned off when I fired it up.

Anyway, you can just about make out the deer, see the smoke from the shot, and the deer's reaction.

Last edited by Semisane; 01-02-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

very cool... good information
Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Good Video.She jumped high enough. Nice shot SEMI.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

You sure that wasn't a powerbelt?!!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Or a Hornady XTP???

I almost wonder if most of us use too much powder...I killed 4 deer with the 300gr Hornady .430s this year and 80grs of Goex FFF and had plenty of damage...At 125 yards I would have expected to have seen that bullet staying together...Not a real problem though because fragments make wound channels as well...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The PB would have been in a thousand pieces.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting....good report and Vidio. Now this put's a few questions in My mind, I thought from all the Hype and what I've read about the Gold Dots (Deep Curls) that there NOT Suppos-to come apart? Your Deep Curl certainly did.
(BP)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks to me like just the petals came off the bullet. if you look closely all of the lead is still intact even on the petals.only bullet that "may" have stayed totally intact on that same exact hit would be a Barnes.i suspect your "normal" jacketed bullet would have been in many more pieces and total separated form the lead.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Shoot Semi!!! I have never seen a GD do that. I have tried to get them to break up and have not succeeded - well when I shoot rocks they do but...

I was surprised it did not exit also, but the yardage and the velocity were probably the reason for that. I shoot them around 1860/1900 fps at the muzzle - so you would think I would really see the break up...

Thanks for the report

OK Breechplug - i was wrong... but I still would shoot a GD... still hope you try them...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

All of those fragments were right next to the base of the bullet on the off-side of the leg bone. It appears that some fragments exited in that area also. So I would say it held together as it passed entirely through the deer (including two ribs) and broke up as it was exiting the off-side leg bone.

Last edited by Semisane; 01-03-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.