Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Is it My Fault because I used the wrong Cleaning Method? >

Is it My Fault because I used the wrong Cleaning Method?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is it My Fault because I used the wrong Cleaning Method?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it My Fault because I used the wrong Cleaning Method?

Well it's that time when one of My Good Buddies that I got into MLing drops by and leaves me His TC Triumph to Clean for Him after the Season Ends.
He knows how much I enjoy Cleaning MLer's, plus He owns a Piece of Property we Hunt that's about 200++ Acres so as a Favor I do it for Him.
He dropped it off today and I Cleaned it tonight. It was shot about 6 times total during the week of Dec 13th thru 21st. Now he uses T7 Pellets and mabey It's how I cleaned the Barrel so any feedback would be well absorbed. I only use Pyro Powder and Pellets so regular ol Dish Soap and Water with a quick Stroke of a Brass Brush usually does it, so that's what I used. Should I have used something different for the T7 Pellets??
Anyway after the Soap and Water Clean and Rinse I did the No13 Bore Cleaner Patches followed by some Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner Patches,,,dirty, dirty, dirty, It would'nt come clean. All the Patches were rusty looking.
I looked down the Barrel and it was Shinny, but the Patches kept comming out Rusty. So I Brass Brushed it again with No13 Bore Cleaner, did the Soap and Water, Rinced it, did more No13 Patches and then the Montana Patches again......Rusty Patches...Finally after about 15 Patches it cleared up and was acceptable to me. So I gave the Barrel a good final 2 Patches coated good with the Montana Extreme BC and stuck a Dry patch in the end of the Muzzle and was done.
I know that the Barrel on the Triumph is Steel and Not Stainless, is this the reason for all the Rusty Patches and having it take so long to finally get the Barrel and Patches to come clean, or was it Me and not using the right (whatever) to clean the Barrel as He uses T7 Pellets?
If it's My Falut I can deal with it, if it's the Steel Barrel than I guess that's to be expected as it's not Stainless. If I cleaned My ACCURA all I'd have to do is run a Brush through it with Soap and Water, Rinse it, run a few patches of MX BC through it and it's spotless. I guess I got Spoiled having the SS Bergara Barrel on My ACCURA.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 12-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

thats the way i do it, all except for the Bore Brush.

Have you friend invest in ultra bore coat. It will save his rifle in the long run.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
He dropped it off today and I Cleaned it tonight. It was shot about 6 times total during the week of Dec 13th thru 21st. Now he uses T7 Pellets and mabey It's how I cleaned the Barrel so any feedback would be well absorbed. I only use Pyro Powder and Pellets so regular ol Dish Soap and Water with a quick Stroke of a Brass Brush usually does it, so that's what I used. Should I have used something different for the T7 Pellets??
Clean T7 as you do Pyro or BP... T7 is water soluable.

Anyway after the Soap and Water Clean and Rinse I did the No13 Bore Cleaner Patches followed by some Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner Patches,,,dirty, dirty, dirty, It would'nt come clean. All the Patches were rusty looking.
Just my opinion - skip that dang #13 it is nothing but white water & a bit of soap. Use regular old blue windex with ammonia - far better cleaner and the ammonia is a metal stripper besides the fact that it evaporates rapidly and carries water with it.

I looked down the Barrel and it was Shinny, but the Patches kept comming out Rusty. So I Brass Brushed it again with No13 Bore Cleaner, did the Soap and Water, Rinced it, did more No13 Patches and then the Montana Patches again......Rusty Patches...Finally after about 15 Patches it cleared up and was acceptable to me. So I gave the Barrel a good final 2 Patches coated good with the Montana Extreme BC and stuck a Dry patch in the end of the Muzzle and was done.
I know that the Barrel on the Triumph is Steel and Not Stainless, is this the reason for all the Rusty Patches and having it take so long to finally get the Barrel and Patches to come clean, or was it Me and not using the right (whatever) to clean the Barrel as He uses T7 Pellets?
Blued steel is a completly different animal than your stainless. It does not take much for unprotected steel in a bore to flash rust. Then when you put the XTreme BC it strips back to bear metal and try to get rid of the rust.

[quoteIf it's My Falut I can deal with it, if it's the Steel Barrel than I guess that's to be expected as it's not Stainless. If I cleaned My ACCURA all I'd have to do is run a Brush through it with Soap and Water, Rinse it, run a few patches of MX BC through it and it's spotless. I guess I got Spoiled having the SS Bergara Barrel on My ACCURA.
(BP)[/quote]

You have not even come close to hurting that barrel any, but it certainly is a different animal than stainless.

I would suggest that you pull the speed breech and run a saturated BC patch in and out of the bore and let it sit for a couple hours - horizontally - then run some dry patches. It will clean up just fine. Also remember when you run a brass brush in a stell bore you do cause a chemical reaction that will make you think the bore is still dirty. I never use a brass bush anymore. Never liked them in the first place I use a Montana X-Treme Nylon bore brush....

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/product...roduct=Brushes

But mostly i just use a cotton bore swab to scrub with...

The gun will be just fine!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Clean T7 as you do Pyro or BP... T7 is water soluable.

Just my opinion - skip that dang #13 it is nothing but white water & a bit of soap. Use regular old blue windex with ammonia - far better cleaner and the ammonia is a metal stripper besides the fact that it evaporates rapidly and carries water with it.

Blued steel is a completly different animal than your stainless. It does not take much for unprotected steel in a bore to flash rust. Then when you put the XTreme BC it strips back to bear metal and try to get rid of the rust.

[quoteIf it's My Falut I can deal with it, if it's the Steel Barrel than I guess that's to be expected as it's not Stainless. If I cleaned My ACCURA all I'd have to do is run a Brush through it with Soap and Water, Rinse it, run a few patches of MX BC through it and it's spotless. I guess I got Spoiled having the SS Bergara Barrel on My ACCURA.
(BP)
You have not even come close to hurting that barrel any, but it certainly is a different animal than stainless.

I would suggest that you pull the speed breech and run a saturated BC patch in and out of the bore and let it sit for a couple hours - horizontally - then run some dry patches. It will clean up just fine. Also remember when you run a brass brush in a stell bore you do cause a chemical reaction that will make you think the bore is still dirty. I never use a brass bush anymore. Never liked them in the first place I use a Montana X-Treme Nylon bore brush....

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/product...roduct=Brushes

But mostly i just use a cotton bore swab to scrub with...

The gun will be just fine![/quote]
I did switch to a (Nylon) Bore Brush thinking it might be the Chemical Reaction with it, the Oil and the Steel Barrel, but I got the same results. I use a Nylon Brush Myself, but figured the Brass one would get the Rust out better. I did'nt use the Windex Patches like I normally do when I swab while shooting, I shoud have. The Only reason I used the No13 was because I had it and figured I'd try it.
The last 2 Patches I ran through the Barrel were saturated good with MX BC, I'll leave it overnight and then do a few Dry one's that a couple of MX BC's again.
I have a Half a Dozen Cotton Bore Swabs but Honestly I have never used one, they come in the Packs with the Nylon or Brass one's. I guess Im gonna give one a try next time and see how it does.
As long as I now know that T7 is Water Soluable and Im using the right stuff to clean it. Oh, and I did use Cold Water for the Rinse insted of Hot knowing that it should keep the Flash Rust to a Minimum, but I instantly ran a patch through it and it rusted that quick.
At least I know I saved the life of His TC, He's a Great Guy but when it comes to taking care of a MLer it's just not his bag. He managed to Break off the Trigger Guard on it this Season when somehow he got a Spent Primer caught in the Action and when He tried to close it, it would'nt so he (BUFFED IT) and forced it closed and it broke. We call Him Bufferd Pusser from the Movie Walking Tall, He's a Animal and always Man Handles Things, He's a Heavy Equiptment Operator so you get the point.
The best one was after he Broke off the Trigger Guard and had to use a Pair Of Vice Grips to open it he had a shot at a Deer and it would'nt fire! There's a part that with the Trigger Guard on it pushes a part to enguage the Trigger, well with it broken it did'nt do it and he pulled the trigger and nothing!
All we heard on the Walkie Talkie's was (I Hate this $#@^&* MLer) and we all stopped him from going into the Barn and taking a Chop Saw to it!
Oh and it's up to me to call TC to get a replacement Trigger Guard for it. I Promised Him I'd take care of it, otherwise it would be sold as Scrap after the Chop Saw had it's way with it. He's got No Patience, but we all Love Him.
Anyone know how I can get ahold of TC?
(BP)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I did use Cold Water for the Rinse insted of Hot knowing that it should keep the Flash Rust to a Minimum, but I instantly ran a patch through it and it rusted that quick.
Just opposite - always use hot water... in fact my last rinse is with boiling water....

Oh and it's up to me to call TC to get a replacement Trigger Guard for it. I Promised Him I'd take care of it, otherwise it would be sold as Scrap after the Chop Saw had it's way with it. He's got No Patience, but we all Love Him.
Anyone know how I can get ahold of TC?
That is going to be the tuff part - they are probably closed now and the first week of January... then they will be making the move to their new location.....

contact by phone is the best if you can catch them or anyone there.... emal to them is always iffy...

http://www.tcarms.com/customerService/contact.php
Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug

Just opposite - always use hot water... in fact my last rinse is with boiling water....

That is going to be the tuff part - they are probably closed now and the first week of January... then they will be making the move to their new location.....

contact by phone is the best if you can catch them or anyone there.... emal to them is always iffy...

http://www.tcarms.com/customerService/contact.php
So your saying that Hot water is better because you get Less Flash Rust then with Cold Water? I thought Cold would prevent the Flash Rust better.
I know TC is Closed for the move, Im in No Hurry, My Buddy only uses His MLer once a year during the Late ML Season, He's not like us, so I have all the time I need to get it fixed.
(BP)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
So your saying that Hot water is better because you get Less Flash Rust then with Cold Water? I thought Cold would prevent the Flash Rust better.
No, think about it... something really hot drys much faster because of the heat. Cold drys very slow and allows rust to begin. That is why I end with boiling water and some dry patches + I use compressed air to blow the barrel out.

I know TC is Closed for the move, Im in No Hurry, My Buddy only uses His MLer once a year during the Late ML Season, He's not like us, so I have all the time I need to get it fixed.
(BP)
cool...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always use boiling water when I clean a blued or rusted barrel. The heat from the boiling water drys very fast. Just be careful when you go to grab the barrel or you can get burned. I always pick the barrel up with a rag to prevent from burning my hand. Tom.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, think about it... something really hot drys much faster because of the heat. Cold drys very slow and allows rust to begin. That is why I end with boiling water and some dry patches + I use compressed air to blow the barrel out.

cool...
I go right from the rince weather it be Hot or Cold right to the Patches, so it should'nt matter. But yea I see your point in using the Boiling Water. I guess having a SS Barrel has me spoiled.
Now I also noticed if I Hunt with a Fouled Barrel I can go longer between cleaning it then with a Steel Barrel. With the SS Barrel I can go a week or more or mabey even longer without cleaning it befor I shoot it or clean and reload it. With a Steel Barrel I seldome go longer then a few days to be safe.
But since I've been using Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner it helps extend cleaning life by days compared to when I just used other oils.
(BP)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like your friend had not really cleaned that barrel well for awhile and you had to work to get it clean!

I too use boiling water. There is no way you are going to remove every bit of water with a dry patch. But if the barrel is very hot, those spots will evaporate quickly. I lean mine against on outside wall, pour boiling water down it, then immediately run dry patches down it (while holding it with an oven mitt).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.