Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Using a powder measure for Blackhorn 209 >

Using a powder measure for Blackhorn 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using a powder measure for Blackhorn 209

Old 12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default Using a powder measure for Blackhorn 209

Up to this point in time I have been weighing out my Blackhorn 209 charges on my reloading scale. I sent an email to western powders to see if there was any reason I could not meter my charges out on my standard Lyman #55 powder measure. Keith Anderson answered me and said it was ok to use any standard measure to weigh out Blackhorn209 powder. Sounds like the way to go! I can probably drop the charges directly in my Lane's tubes and make short work of it!

Last edited by moridgerunner; 12-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Works for me I have a Redding.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really see no advantage at all for weighing BH209 by weight for hunting accuracy.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

moridgerunner

You certainly can throw charges from a powder measure, I did for a while and found out for me it really was not worth it at the target so I went back to a very consistent volume measure. Actually I weighed charges for a while, then threw with a Hornady powder measure and then quit both and went to the volume measure.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did for a while and found out for me it really was not worth it at the target so I went back to a very consistent volume measure.
+1
What Sabotloader said.

I don't do BH 209. But i've burned up an awful lot of 777, Pyrodex, APP, JSG and Pinnacle. Did some tests on weighed charges vs volume measured charges and concluded that weighing charges is a waste of time.

The powder measures that i use are the brass ones. i fill the measure a little overfull with powder and strike it off level with my finger; no shaking, tamping or nothing else. This is the way an old man taught me to do it in the early 70s and it works very well for me.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I weigh on a digital scale with a pan and dump in tubes.
As faster or faster then using a volume thrower for me.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
+1
What Sabotloader said.

I don't do BH 209. But i've burned up an awful lot of 777, Pyrodex, APP, JSG and Pinnacle. Did some tests on weighed charges vs volume measured charges and concluded that weighing charges is a waste of time.

The powder measures that i use are the brass ones. i fill the measure a little overfull with powder and strike it off level with my finger; no shaking, tamping or nothing else. This is the way an old man taught me to do it in the early 70s and it works very well for me.
X2 on this method, it's the way i do it also..exception being my brass measurer has a hinged top that swings and levels the powder off perfectly.