Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First trip to the range with BH209 >

First trip to the range with BH209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First trip to the range with BH209

Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Spike

Default First trip to the range with BH209

Yesterday was my first trip to the range with BH209 and Winchester W209 primers. Last year I was shooting 2 777 pellets and 250 grain Shockwave Superglide. I made up some 100 grain loads of BH209 and the shoots weren’t hitting where they were last year. Adjusted the scope and got it closer to dead center. BTW I was shooting at 50 yards. I could not get the Shockwave’s to hit consistently at all. I had some 245 grain Powerbelt areo tips left so I tried those and the first shoot was dead center bullseye. So I shot another one and it was about an inch to the right. Shot another and it was about an inch low from the bullseye. Now I have read enough posts to understand that there is a difference between a range bullet and how one performs in the field so my question is stick with the Shockwaves or the Powerbelts? Also for the first time since having my Triumph I did not need to swab after each shot what a windex patch! The Shockwaves weren’t easy to load but I was able to get them to the same spot on the rod, but the Powerbelts were so easy I could almost have my 5 year old load them. Ohio ML season is still about a month away so I have some time to figure out what to use but wanted to get started now testing.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you decide to use the Power Belts plug the hollow point, with that heavy a load the ones under 248 gr are known to fragment often.
Due to the fact that Blackhorn is progressive burning and 777 is not I would start with 90 gr and try every 10 gr and do fire a fouling shot and do not clean between shots [Blackhorn loads and shoots much better as a rule on a fouled barrel].
Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The SuperGlides may be the problem if they are loading too loose. BH209 does prefer a snug sabot but conicals or PBs dont seem to suffer as much if they are a bit loose.

If you like easy loading and a bullet that wont frag as easily try the Precision Rifle Ultimate tipped conical or the heaviest PBs. They are over priced like PBs but shoot very well with 90grs of BH209 or less.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
The SuperGlides may be the problem if they are loading too loose. BH209 does prefer a snug sabot but conicals or PBs dont seem to suffer as much if they are a bit loose.

If you like easy loading and a bullet that wont frag as easily try the Precision Rifle Ultimate tipped conical or the heaviest PBs. They are over priced like PBs but shoot very well with 90grs of BH209 or less.
Actually the Superglides weren't easy to load. Took a good amount of force to get them down. I was able to seat them to the same spot where I couldn't with 777 pellets (crud ring). It's just weird I switched from the powerbelts because with 777 pellets (swabbing between each shot) weren't accurate and the superglides were perfect last year. This year it's the opposite and then only difference was the powder. I'm going to try to hit the range again this week but I don't think the weather is going to let me. I'm also going to mix up some BH209 90 grain and try that load.