Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pellets

Old 12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Spike

Default pellets

Why pellets? Why would some one use pellets when you get alot more powder for less and able to adjust charge for better grouping?

I have finally tried 777 and 777 pellets this last week and do like the way it preforms. But the cost of 6.8oz of pellets verses 16.0 oz of powder does not out weigh the ease of use.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

And their eyes were opened and they saw the light...

Exactly. That is what people have been saying I think ever since the pellets hit the market. Although I have one rifle that shoots Pyrodex Pellets better then anything else I have tried to stuff down it. Even when I load loose Pyrodex it does not get as good of results. No understanding as to why.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is a point which you did not mention.
Several of use that reload have weighted a bunch of them and compared them to some load of loose that were thrown with a funnel top cut off type powder measure.
The results were surprising the pellets were as much as 5 grains off in the worst cases while the loads thrown with a volume measure stay with in +- 1 with a few exceptions that when to +2.
That and the fact that you can very the load more to what the gun shoots best.
For instance my triumph shoots certain load much better with 115 gr than with 110 or 120 gr.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

as i sit here choking and cleaning my guns that just fired pyrodex pellets. I am that much more thankful for blackhorn209 LOL.

Got to brush my teeth and gargle after. This stuff just STINKS! And to think i used to shoot tons of this stuff and liked the smell. How things change
Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
as i sit here choking and cleaning my guns that just fired pyrodex pellets. I am that much more thankful for blackhorn209 LOL.

Got to brush my teeth and gargle after. This stuff just STINKS! And to think i used to shoot tons of this stuff and liked the smell. How things change
I know what you mean. I only bought a 24 pack of 777 to try out and looking forward to a trip to Bass Pro to get some powder, I just wish it was closer. I will just have to wait and stick with the smell. It is about $10 more around here. I am wanting to try Blackhorn 209, but no one carrys it, and I don't see it on Bass Pro's web site. I am hoping they carry it in the store and just don't have it on there site.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll go you one better, why 777 or why Pryodex??? Why not FFF Goex??? (Unless you can't find it in your area)...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

because they are convenient and very consistant for the most part and you get em dirt cheap at wally world at the end of the season. or use to anyway. if you have shakey hands or other medical conditions pellets load easier.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I'll go you one better, why 777 or why Pryodex??? Why not FFF Goex??? (Unless you can't find it in your area)...
Only found one can of it, and it was FFG. It was at a gun shop on consignment.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use pellets for the convenience until I started listening to some very serious ML shooters and decided loose grain was the way to go in most cases for a more precise control over the load you want to shoot and for accuracy.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by liquidorange
because they are convenient and very consistant for the most part and you get em dirt cheap at wally world at the end of the season. or use to anyway. if you have shakey hands or other medical conditions pellets load easier.
Mine don't order enought hunting equipment for any of the seasons. They were out of muzzleloading supplies a couple of weeks ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.