Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Endeavor >

Thompson Center Endeavor

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Endeavor

Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thompson Center Endeavor

After Christmas I'm looking at making a purchase on the Thompson Center Endeavor 50 cal. Has anyone purchased this gun? What's everyones thoughts on this gun and what would be a good scope or this gun??? Any suggestions where I would go to get the best price on this gun?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have an endeavor and love it. I did purchase an oversized hinge pin for it from Belmtc's as it was a little loose with the factory pin. Now it is perfect with the 1X belm pin. I have a Redfield revolution scope on it. 3x9x40 with the accu-range reticle and I really like it. I haven't done a considerable amount of shooting with it as far as working up the best loads for it but I did pretty well with Barnes 250gr. tez's, mmp hph12 sabots and 110 gr. bh209. 5 shot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I'm sure I can get that better with some experimenting but that was plenty hunting accurate for me for this season. I picked mine up at Gander Mountain for $850. I'm sure with a little shopping around you could find a bargain somewhere.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an Endeavor it is a most excellent rifle, I used to do a bit of gunsmithing when I owned a shop an I never leave any gun untouched, have the fun for me is monkeying with them. I polished the surfaces all 6, change some springs and floated the forearm. I put a Nikon Omega scope on it and it shoots a minute of angle with several loads when there is no operator error. The only thing about it I do not like is the balanced when carrying it with a sling the butt tends to work up.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by omegasmoke
I have an endeavor and love it. I did purchase an oversized hinge pin for it from Belmtc's as it was a little loose with the factory pin. Now it is perfect with the 1X belm pin. I have a Redfield revolution scope on it. 3x9x40 with the accu-range reticle and I really like it. I haven't done a considerable amount of shooting with it as far as working up the best loads for it but I did pretty well with Barnes 250gr. tez's, mmp hph12 sabots and 110 gr. bh209. 5 shot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I'm sure I can get that better with some experimenting but that was plenty hunting accurate for me for this season. I picked mine up at Gander Mountain for $850. I'm sure with a little shopping around you could find a bargain somewhere.
Try the 250gr TEZ's with a Harvester black crushed rib sabot and 120gr of BH 209 with CCI primers. My buddy's shoots under a 1.5" at 110 yds with this load.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Try the 250gr TEZ's with a Harvester black crushed rib sabot and 120gr of BH 209 with CCI primers. My buddy's shoots under a 1.5" at 110 yds with this load.
I'll try that.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

I have 2 of the TC Endeavors and enjoy them both. One has a Boyds Laminated thumbhole stock and forend, scoped w/ a Nikon Omega 3-9x40. The load it shoots best is a Hornaday FTX .430 in 265 gr, MMP Mag Sabot, pushed by 120 g of Triple 7 ffg. 3/4 in groups @ 100 yds. The other has the factory synthetic camo flex tech stock, Wiliams Peep Sight. The load I used this year was Hornaday XTP Mag 240 gr, .451. MMP Std Sabot, pushed by 100g of Triple 7.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy

I had an Encore, which is the same with a few after market add ons then they upped the price into the stratosphere. I was terribly disappointed with it. The ML barrel had a tight spot about half way down and I sent it back to TC. They said it didn't, but reamed it out some for me. Accuracy sucked beyond belief. My inexpensive NEF ($159.00) was shooting circles around it.

Got tired of messing with this POS and got rid of it. I honestly believe this company is crazy asking over a $1000. for this gun. But there are crazy people out there buying them. I am sure there are a lot of folks out there that have a similar experience, but are just tired of talking about it. I know I am.

Now if you want to talk about Contenders, I'll wave that flag. I have a G2 with eight barrels and love them all!!! Go figure?!?

I hope you have more luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to talk Contenders. Any idea where I can find a stainless muzzleloader barrel for under $400? I know TC stopped making them - any idea why?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I had an Encore, which is the same with a few after market add ons then they upped the price into the stratosphere. I was terribly disappointed with it. The ML barrel had a tight spot about half way down and I sent it back to TC. They said it didn't, but reamed it out some for me. Accuracy sucked beyond belief. My inexpensive NEF ($159.00) was shooting circles around it.

Got tired of messing with this POS and got rid of it. I honestly believe this company is crazy asking over a $1000. for this gun. But there are crazy people out there buying them. I am sure there are a lot of folks out there that have a similar experience, but are just tired of talking about it. I know I am.

Now if you want to talk about Contenders, I'll wave that flag. I have a G2 with eight barrels and love them all!!! Go figure?!?

I hope you have more luck.

Call me crazy. I paid a little over $700 for Encore Pro Hunter and it will shoot with any ML.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Call me crazy. I paid a little over $700 for Encore Pro Hunter and it will shoot with any ML.

First I am glad to me you crazy.

Secondly, when is the last time you check the sugested retail and street prices of the Encore (whatever they are called now)?