Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bang for the buck range and hunting for T/C? >

Bang for the buck range and hunting for T/C?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bang for the buck range and hunting for T/C?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Bang for the buck range and hunting for T/C?

LOL - sorry for the bad pun...

I've been doing a lot of reading (obsessing...) on the boards here and elsewhere about ML. I bought a T/C Impact rifle (1 in 28 twist) the other day and was shooting the Barnes T-EZ 290gr and 230 gr T/C Sure Shot (I think the same as Cheap Shot) with 85gr cci 209 and bh 209. No problems firing at all, cleanup a snap - but the 290gr t-ez were snnnnuuugggg... (ie, hands are a bit bruised still... )

I'm brand new to this sport, but have a question about bullets. The barnes t-ez is over a $1 a shot - so it's a little steep for my blood to spend lots of time at the range. The sure shot's were $7 for 20, that's doable. Looking at bullet info on the mmp site it would seem to make sense that it would be good to choose a bullet that could be used on medium or larger game, in the least weight (if that info on the mmp site is good). That would leave the barnes xpb 250gr or speer MJHP 260gr - but since the barnes is over $1 a bullet, I am leaning towards the speer as it's 50 for $15 - all plus sabots.

Finally - recommend .45 or .44 for this situation? I don't see here in this part of Missouri taking a shot over 125, max, usually 70-100 I would guess.

Oh - and just to add... since I have little 'uns running around, I seldom get a lot of time to go to the range, so I was looking primarily at sabot rounds as with the bh209, return shots are an easy affair. I'm not sure if you can do the same with lubed conicals (no swabbing between shots) - but if I'm wrong, please feel free to recommend things in that department as well.

I have read good advice that it depends on your rifle - but there are an infinite number of possiblities - bullets/sabots/charges - are there any wise suggestions that might give me a starting point to what I need that might work well in my T/C rifle?

Thanks!

Last edited by OzarkPA; 12-13-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: oh yeah, I almost forgot
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Buy, less expensive pistol bullets for practice and sight-in and hunt with the Premium bullets for Deer. The 300gr Speer deep curls are next on my list. Buying several different sabots will also help you isolate the characteristics that make your rifle/powder perform best.

In general, TC guns are pretty tight which is good as BH209 works best with a tight fitting sabot.

Jim

ps if there is a _____mart close by ask the manager when the muzzleloader supplies go on clearance and pick up some Shockwaves.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bang for buck performance go to the .250 or 300 gr gold dot / DC with a crushed rib sabot. if you search sabotloaders test results on the GD, you will see it performs just about like a Barnes terminally.or as stated by the OP pratice with the GD and hunt with the barnes. always more than one way to skin a cat lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well first off is a tip. A lot of us like to help the break in of the barrel by getting some JB Bore paste and polishing it wit a 100 strokes or so, this helps stabilize and ease the loading problem. Most TC guns will shoot the MMP HPH 24 and the Harvester short and long black I use different ones with different bullets. If your bore is extra tight you may need to use the Crush Rib sabots.
Personally I like to experiment so I have shot and keep a wide range of bullets on hand. For Max Accuracy I use the 250 Shock Wave at 150 yds +they are very good for deer hunting I have had very good results with 250 gr Gold Dots or as they have been renamed the Deep Curl. I use the Short Black Harvester with the Shock Wave the long Black with the Gold Dot and the MMP with the XTP the Short Black with the Lehigh 250 the blue MMP with the 50/40 200gr Lehigh and the 200 gr Shock Wave 50/40. and the MMPHPH 24 with the heavier Lehigh bullets.
You will find that if you group shoot you need to try what ever you can to find out what makes the difference.
On the other hand if you just shoot for sighting in and hunting, then if you will be shooting less than 100 yds pick your bullet find the right sabot and don't worry about the other bullets.To shoot long range with a muzzleloader with any consistency takes a lot of work and practice.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by builder459
Bang for buck performance go to the .250 or 300 gr gold dot / DC with a crushed rib sabot. if you search sabotloaders test results on the GD
Great - that GD keeps comming up as a popular choice, definately will check it out. What is the "GD" (oops - that must be gold dot..)

Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
..TC guns are pretty tight which is good as BH209 works best with a tight fitting sabot..
Damn, I knew the subliminal advertising got to me... LOL

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well first off is a tip. A lot of us like to help the break in of the barrel by getting some JB Bore paste and polishing it wit a 100 strokes or so, this helps stabilize and ease the loading problem. .
I was just thinking about that. When I was loading the tight 290 t-ez, I could feel the tight spots in the barrel... and I have some JB's left over after I polished my airgun barrel. I'm assuming I need to use that with a .50 brass brush?

Originally Posted by lemoyne
... 250 gr Gold Dots or as they have been renamed the Deep Curl. I use the Short Black Harvester with the Shock Wave the long Black with the Gold Dot and the MMP with the XTP the Short Black with the Lehigh 250 the blue MMP with the 50/40 200gr Lehigh and the 200 gr Shock Wave 50/40. and the MMPHPH 24 with the heavier Lehigh bullets...
There are quite a few options!! Are there some guidelines you can use to help narrow it down (ie, short bullets use short jackets or etc etc)? I think I should try a box of 250 and 300 gr gold dots, so I will try that with the long black harvester on the 250's, how about the 300's? Is it overkill to use 300gr on a deer out to 125yrds?

That MMP site suggested that the speer #4481 260gr might also be suitable to larger game (I think the lightest bullet for that besides the barnes) - does that seem reasonable?

Last edited by OzarkPA; 12-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

GD/gold dot new name DC/ deepcurl, CR/ crushed rib/sabot lol.