Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question on CVA Optima accuracy >

Question on CVA Optima accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on CVA Optima accuracy

Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default Question on CVA Optima accuracy

I shoot a CVA Optima and it shoots good groups (1.25" - 1.75") out to 65 yards. At 75 yards it barely groups tight enough to place the bullet through the vitals of a deer and at 100 yards it shoots 12 to 14 inch groups on a good day. I do a lot of rifle shooting and I know it's not me. These shots are taken off a bench using a 1X TC scope and the barrel is cleaned between every shot. I use 2 Triple 7 pellets (100 grains) of powder and use both .50 caliber 295 grain Powerbelt Aerotip bullets and .50 caliber 350 grain Hornady FPB bullets. Both shoot exactly the same groups. Is any other Optima shooter experiencing the same thing? If you are experiencing better accuracy, what powder / bullet combo are you shooting with your Optima? If this is the best accuracy I can expect from my Optima I'll either have to upgrade or limit my shots to under 70 yards.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

What kind of primers are you using?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

I am using Federal 209 shotshell primers. I tried Winchester triple 7 209 primers but after having one dud and one weak primer ignition with a delayed powder ignition, I lost confidence in the triple 7 primers.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

try the Winchester W209 primers. Full strength primers can KILL a rifles accuracy with Sub powders.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crocker Hills Hunter

T7 primers are probably marginal for T7 pellets, they work very well with loose T7.

I would also suggest the Fed 209A's are to hot for pellets, you might get a very pronunced 'crud ring' right about the of the powder column. I would suggest if you are going to shoot pellets you might try Winchester w209's. They are coolest of regular 209 primers.

I would also suggest that since you have been shooting Feds - you might need to clean the flash channel in your breech plug. CVA chooses to use a very small 3mm flash channel and in combination with a tight flash hole you could be building carbon in the flash channel. You can get a drill bit and turn it by hand in the channel under the primer pocket and get the carbon out.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA Stag Horn and also a Stag Horn Mag, both of these MLer's are INEXPENSIVE, one was $89. I doubt one could find a Mler for less that was new in the box.
I managed to get 1 1/2" groups out of this one at 100yds. So for me I cant say the CVA Optima cant shoos, I dont have one but all I own are CVA's and all are Shooters.
I see your a New Member, are you also pretty new to Mling? Now I've been tryong to figure put your problem but 2 things hinder my findings, the Optima and the T7 Pellets, I use neither. But since your new to MLing (If you are) are you making sure the Bullet is seated Firmly on the Pellets (without) Crushing them? Another thing that may be the problem is the 1X Scope, I like a Higher Magnified Scope for shooting Longer Yardages. Do you have a Good Solid Rest, Bench to shoot off from? Are you using the right (Loading Jag) for your Bullets? And Yes keeping the Breech Plug Clean also makes a Big Difference.
Now Im a Simple Shooter, Im not into all the New Powders and Bullets, I use what works and stick with that. I own and Shoot only CVA MLer's and None have ever shot groups like you describe, and as I said even the $89 Stag Horn will shoot. Now most know this and Im Not Pushing them on you but out of all My CVA's I use the 240gr XTP Bullets, either Win W209 Primers or T7 Primers with either the (regular) Pyrodox Pellets 2-50gr or Pyrodox Powder 110gr's. And they All Shoot Acceptable Groups out to 100yds and Further. This is just a Suggestion as it's what works for me out of My CVA's.
Rifles and Mlers are Not Created Equal, long from it. You must find what your Mler like's to shoot and once you do you'll be hammering the Bull at 100. If nothing works then I would try Lose Powder and start off at about 80 gr's and work your way up untill you have the Groups your looking for.
Best of Luck to You!
(BP)
Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the info. I've been shooting a ML the last few years but haven't spent much time at it until this year. I'm careful on seating the bullet so it's seated on but not crushing the pellets. I use a good, solid bench. I agree the 1X scope is a handicap for tight groups at longer ranges. Until this year you could not use a scope with magnification on a ML in Wisconsin. I think the next time I shoot my Optima I'm going to make sure the flash hole is clean and try the Winchester W209 primer and see if that helps. Now that it's legal, I think I may get a scope with some magnification. I'm a brand new member and I already received good information. Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

1x has got to be awful. I mounted a 2.5 weaver on a wolf, LOL i swear when i looked through that scope at 100 yards i pulled back quickly, looked at the target with my bare eyes, got back down onto the scope and was like, SOB! i can see the target better with open sights!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Have you tried not cleaning the barrel between each shot?
Maybe put 6 shots through before a cleaning, my father has an Optima that shoots best after a few rounds have been shot through.
He's shooting whitehots and 245g pb's with Winchester primers.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Spike

I'm shooting an Optima 245gr Powerbelt and 90gr loose powder. Groups good out to 100 yards. I find it shoots best with 3 shots or so down the barrel.