Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which Hawken kit is the easiest to assemble? >

Which Hawken kit is the easiest to assemble?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Hawken kit is the easiest to assemble?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

Default Which Hawken kit is the easiest to assemble?

I'd like to help my 14 year old put together a Hawken so he can have a greater appreciation for how all the parts work together. He loves the older stuff and given a choice this year for deer hunting between a scoped center-fire ML, a shotgun and a Hawken; he chose Grandpa's Hawken by a mile.

Anyway, after reading many posts it would appear that there is a lot of fitting involved with some of the kits. Does anyone know which affordable kit might involve the lease amount of fitting and other minor gunsmithing adjustments.

We are not against putting in a fair amount of time. But we don't have a shop with a full complement of gunsmithing tools. I'd like to limit things to sanding, a bit of filing, staining, and bluing (or browning which he might insist upon

Last edited by temphank; 12-09-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard good things about the Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit. It does not require a lot of tools and the end result is a really great rifle. I have not put one together myself though so others might have better opinions.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

yeah the lyman kit was a lot of fun to put together but keep in mind, there is a good deal of shaping with files to get the stock shaped to the butt plate.

Traditions makes kits too that are softer wood, easier to work with.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Traditions makes a easy to assemble kit. Also they are offered through Cabela's. I heard that they are easy to assemble also. And they are on sale I believe.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put mine togther from a Thompson Center Hawkins kit more than 20 years ago.If I could do it anyone can.The hardest part was getting the front sight on.The finish of the stock isn't the greatest since I'm no woodworker but I'm satisfied with it and it shoots great.