Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
an little gun debate, more of an narrow down >

an little gun debate, more of an narrow down

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

an little gun debate, more of an narrow down

Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default an little gun debate, more of an narrow down

I was not going to post this here. please, lets be civilized, these are my personal thoughts from what I have read and person experience.

seems like I prefer, lower end, used guns, or what every I can find an deal on.
I have owned
knight usak (bore is pitted, cleaned the hell out of it, what started me on this forum, only conical it likes is powerbelts and hornidy fpbs, I have not found sabot combo it does not like) hell of an shooter, my move on from it next year.
knight disc extreme (won it, sold it bad mojo on that gun)
win apex 45cal (bought from MD, hell of an pb shooter, have not found an powder it does not like, does not like sabots)
TC new englander ( sold it, just did not fit me at the time)
cva hawken 50 and 54cal (a lot of work put into both by me and MD)

feeling on TC, great guns once you work the kinks out of them, over priced, you can get guns almost $200 less that can shoot better out of the box. plus side, made in the usa.

cva, a lot great shooters, hurt still by past problems, any problems in the new models are fixed. you can get an great shooter for less then $200, company owed (I am guessing) in the USA, made in spain.

knight, can't say much right now about new products, I have owned two, both where (are) great shooters. you can pick up an older gun for $150 to 300 new still if your lucky,

traditions, no experience

lyman, no experience

would I try tc, yes the impact has caught my eye, not just that it is at most $250 I like the lines and the feel of the gun. but all the other are over priced in my mind.

I would still like to have the new CVA,

I hope knight puts there new guns out at an half decent prices, I really do like knight rifles, in fact, I hope they stayed with the green mtn barrels.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

As you probably know, I've been know to pick up a used and abused gun or two myself.

I don't think there are any "bad" muzzle loaders out there, just some each person likes more than others. I tend to favor sidelocks and have a lot of respect for TC Renegades and Hawkens. But I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a CVA or Traditions. I recently missed a deal on a used Knight .45 Elite that I wanted to play with, mostly because I've never owned a Knight. I enjoyed cleaning up the "Rescued Remington" and will be putting a scope on it this week to see how it truly shoots. I don't need any more, but I know another one will come along at a price I can't refuse. Such is this sickness.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you Love your MLer it will Love you back, a Buck in the Freezer cant tell the difference by being shot with a TC or a CVA or if it had a Scope or Open Sights, or if it was a Saboted Bullet or a Round Ball, or Powder or Pellets, or a 209 Primer or a Flinter......all he knows is he's now Breakfast and Dinner.
(BP)
Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Spike

Own a Knight MK. One of the smoothest, most accurate, quality weapons I have ever fired. Just purchased a CVA Accura V2. My impression so far: accurate. I showed my son a target used on the range. I asked "how many rounds hit this target?". His reply, "two." Nope it was three! However, my impression overall - maybe not so good. The weapon started rusting in 1 hour and 20 minutes after having it out in the snow. The ram rod scratches if you even just look at it. Plus the end that is supposed to be "static" (pressed in and not supposed to move) is falling out. Their accessories - cheap. I purchased a CVA T-Handle - stripped out after 1 use. I purchased a CVA primer loader (holds 7 209 primers), doesn't work. I confirmed this with another person that I met on the range that has the same gadget. The machining on the plastic channel is jacked up. All the Knight accessories always worked. Hell, the ballistics chart that Knight made could go through a washing machines 100 times before it would fall apart. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I purchase a lot of used rifles. I clean them up and work on them and then make them shoot. It is what I enjoy to do. I own rifles from about every camp. T/C, Knight, White, Lyman, CVA, Traditions, Remington, and a lot of different models. Any rifle sitting on my rack would take a game animal. All rifles will shoot something. The trick is to find out what it likes to shoot.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a few smokepoles trough the yrs, i now own 4 all perc. all T/C 2 i bought new & 2 were used. Cleaned those 2 up they shoot great. I have Renegade .56 smoothbore a Blk. Dia. XR SS a GreyHawk & a New Englander. They all seem to kill deer fine
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Spike

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rlmx
Own a Knight MK. One of the smoothest, most accurate, quality weapons I have ever fired. Just purchased a CVA Accura V2. My impression so far: accurate. I showed my son a target used on the range. I asked "how many rounds hit this target?". His reply, "two." Nope it was three! However, my impression overall - maybe not so good. The weapon started rusting in 1 hour and 20 minutes after having it out in the snow. The ram rod scratches if you even just look at it. Plus the end that is supposed to be "static" (pressed in and not supposed to move) is falling out. Their accessories - cheap. I purchased a CVA T-Handle - stripped out after 1 use. I purchased a CVA primer loader (holds 7 209 primers), doesn't work. I confirmed this with another person that I met on the range that has the same gadget. The machining on the plastic channel is jacked up. All the Knight accessories always worked. Hell, the ballistics chart that Knight made could go through a washing machines 100 times before it would fall apart. Thats my 2 cents.
Yea you go tell em how it is lol
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a TC Black Diamond XR stainless, I would have to say it is honestly the most accurate muzzle loader I have owned. I had a Remington model 700 muzzle loader before the TC, was never happy with the accuracy I got out of it, sold it bought the Thompson Center, all I can say, when it comes to accuracy, there is no comparison. The Thompson Center walks the dog.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Most aluminum ramrods scratch up when they are used for range loading. A good range rod is always a must for the black powder shooter.

Scratchless guns are called Safe queens!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scratchless guns are called Safe queens!
Unless it's one of those recalled CVA's. Then it would be an UnSafe Queen.

Oh man! I'm sorry - just couldn't help it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.