Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which Muzzleloader? >

Which Muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Muzzleloader?

Old 07-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Which Muzzleloader?

Which one of these 3 muzzleloaders would you guys recomend and why? Thompson Centers Encore, Omega, or the Black Diamond. Which one is the easiest to clean? Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Muzzleloader?

If you' ve got the cash, go with the Encore. Not only is it a VERY nice muzzleloader, it can also be easily converted into pretty much any other centerfire or rimfire caliber you want with a barrel and stock change.

Otherwise, I' d go with the Omega. It' s nice, simple, stays clean when shooting and is easy to clean.

Mike
Old 07-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to add more barrels, get the Encore. I have shot & cleaned the Omega & Black Diamond XR. Both shoot well but the Omega is more waterproof, much easier to clean & has a lighter trigger.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I purchaced an omega about 6 months ago and am very pleased . Its an easy to opperate firearm that cleans quickly . In the past I owned an american knite and it was an excellent firearm allso but was much harder to clean and its sights were nowhere near as nice in quality , it was harder to load allso .
Old 07-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Black Diamond XR last season. It was my first ML and I' m pretty pleased with it. Its not hard to clean, but I did have a problem once with the breach plug freezing after a bunch of shots with Triple 7. My biggest gripe is that the ramrod tends to rattle, but something wedged between the barrel and rod prevent that from happening. I keep thinking that the omega might have been a better choice though, mainly from hearing everyone' s great reviews.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The easiest to clean out of the bunch is the OMEGA....since the barrel is 28" it probably hits a liitle harder than the others in its class.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter

The Omega barrel is actually 25"
If you measure from the point where the powder meets the breechplug out to the end of the bore --it is 26-1/2"
Now you must discount apporoximently 1-1/2" of the QLA System which only aids in loading the projectile -- it does nothing to aid the shot fired.

I was shocked too! I figured all this out after I bought it.
If you look at an A & H 320 or 420 bolt-action, the barrel is listed as 26" ... but it is really 26-1/2" from the powder/breechplug point to the the end of the bore. There is no QLA System on A & Hs. Also similar are Knight rifles -- but I never measured their barrels.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

you should look into knights. they are AWESOME