Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Oh My - Help - RUST! >

Oh My - Help - RUST!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oh My - Help - RUST!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Spike

Default Oh My - Help - RUST!

After spending a day on the range in the snow, my brand new Accura V2 was placed in a dry gun case. I drove home, ate a meal, then opened the case. Rust spots! The barrel and the trigger. Rust everywhere except the "base" of the weapon (not sure what else to call it – the part that houses the trigger assembly).

I have a stainless Ruger 22 Mag. Have had it for over 20 years. Have had it in the snow and rain. Not a spec of rust on it.

Very frustrating.

Can I use steel wool on the barrel of this Accura?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Spike

Default I prefer a brass bristled toothbrush

Try to use something harder than the corrosion, but softer than the steel. I like useing a brass bristled toothbrush with a penetrating oil such as Kroil. Then make sure you get all the salts off.

The best rust preventatives I know of are LPS3 and RIG.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a SS Barrel? If so I have one and it never ever Rusted and I've Hunted with it in the Rain and Snow, a-lot! The Rust should just wipe off with some Gun Oil and a soft piece of cloth. I would never use Steel Wool.
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

That is spot rust. Normally if you take a cotton cloth and some good gun oil it will wipe right off. That could not be a rust that has set in, due to the length of time. But next time at the range, after shooting, before you transport, wipe your rifle off with a oil cloth.

It sounds like the rifle being placed in a dry warm gun case began to react to all the humidity and that started the rusting process.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get some Evapo-Rust from the auto parts store follow direction it will clean right up with out any scratches etc.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

I own an older cva kodiack can't keep the surface rust out of it dosen't afffect accuracy called cva every year about it but they just tell me its a cleaning issue but i have no rust on any other gun i own all kept the same way . i would suggest letting cool and clean before you transport home and try to limit the temp variations the gun is exsposed to til you get a quality rust protectant on it
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ah ha, warm gun into a gun sleeve normally does cause trouble.

On the trigger guard? The trigger guard is nickel plated so its basically impossible for it to rust up, maybe i read it the wrong way and its the trigger itself?

I'd just use some thin spray can oil like Barricade on a harder fabric like a ;egging from an old pair of jeans and scrub the barrel and other parts down good. Give it a good coat of oil after that.

www.ultracoatingsinc.com has some great rust protection called Gun Shield. Ive applied it to almost all of my rifles and hunting in flat out snow storms for hours "3 of those hours being lost lol" the 2 rifles we had in the field didnt have one speck of rust on them.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Spike

Yes - the trigger was actually rusting. The trigger guard does not have ANY rust. The only two parts that rusted are the trigger and the barrel.

Thanks for all the input. I will look into the suggested protective products.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm no metallurgist, but I'm seeing alot more rust on the undercarriage of new vehicles with parts imported and I'm suspecting they are leaving out some additives in the steel that used to be there. I'm guessing its just cost saving, and may be happening in some guns too.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Spike

This is something that I asked about when evaluating the weapon. The 416 stainless is "more susceptible to corrosion."