Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mystery Issue

Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mystery Issue

Hi guys, My inline is acting kind of strange for me lately. I have it sighted in dead on at 100 yards but if i back away to 120-200 yards my point of impact shifts to the left about 8-10 inches. Do you know what could be the cause of this? I doubt its the scope, its a new nikon muzzleloader scope with the bdc reticle. Havent ever had this happen to me before with the gun which is what has me puzzled. Shooting 45cal lehigh bullets in 250 grain out of my 50 with 115 grains of 777. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

wind or just simple movement.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow!! that is strange. Dead on at 100 yards and then that far to the side by moving simply 20 yards or more. I would be hard pressed to guess the cause. All I can think of is your pulling your shot. Honestly, if its not being caused by the wind I have no idea why that bullet would suddenly move to the side like that.

Maybe some of the long range shooters will have a better idea.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im stumped! I shoot a-lot at 200yds++. If Im dead on at 100 and a 1" or two off at 150 to one side or the other I blame it on me or the wind. If there's no wind, I'll try 200, if I get the same results then I adjust the scope for it, but usually it's only a click or two. But to be that far off and only adding another 20yds or so and being on at 100 puzzles me. I cant see the MLer being at fault, mabey human error.
Unless your shooting a Magnum Load? a-lot can go wrong with the wrong bullet powder combo at long ranges, but to be on still at 100 even with a Magnum Load and then to be that far off, it should'nt be.
(BP)
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot it in a secure type of rest "IE" gun vise/lead sled so your confident it's not moving and with no wind. if it continues doing it my guess would be your scope or the mounts. Nikons are my favorite scopes and i have never had a problem with one..but it can happen even with a new scope.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

crazedbowhunter

I just ran a quick calculation on the ballistic calculator. With that bullet and an esimated velocity of 1875, it would take a 15mph xwind to move the bullet 8.3" @ 125 yards, but in the same calculation the bullet would be 5.2" off at 100 yards. So I am not thinking wind....
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
crazedbowhunter

I just ran a quick calculation on the ballistic calculator. With that bullet and an esimated velocity of 1875, it would take a 15mph xwind to move the bullet 8.3" @ 125 yards, but in the same calculation the bullet would be 5.2" off at 100 yards. So I am not thinking wind....
Great info sabotloader, eliminate one thing at a time..no wind when firing not problem,secure rest that can't move not problem etc.which would leave you with the mounts or the scope..had this problem with a center fire rifle ended up being the scope,this was prior to using nikon scopes.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

This problem is so hard to diagnose without actually being there and seeing what is happening - or even handling the rifle so you can check the normal things...

I sure hope he finds the problem cause it certainly is a problem..
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

This problem is so hard to diagnose without actually being there and seeing what is happening - or even handling the rifle so you can check the normal things...

I sure hope he finds the problem cause it certainly is a problem..
I agree 100% , ask me how i know lol. why i suggested process of elimination.when i had a similar problem i went crazy trying to figure it out.now i make sure to align scope in mounts, i am super careful about tightening screws down, i use clear nail polish to keep screws from backing out etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Great info sabotloader, eliminate one thing at a time..no wind when firing not problem,secure rest that can't move not problem etc.which would leave you with the mounts or the scope..had this problem with a center fire rifle ended up being the scope,this was prior to using nikon scopes.
He's already eliminated the Scope, the Rest and the Wind. He has good groups at 100, he would'nt if there was a problem with one of these. If one of these were his problem he sure would'nt be on at 100 and way off at 120, he'd be havong the same problems at 100.
And use some Loc-Tite for the Screws, fingernail Polish on a MLer is just not right.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.