Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Last Day of Rifle Deer Season >

Last Day of Rifle Deer Season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last Day of Rifle Deer Season

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Spike

Sabotloader nice way to end the season way to go on your hunt and a nice clean kill.Oh and very nice long range shot..
Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader.......so how far could that setup shoot say a 10in pie plate given the right conditions?.....250?300yds?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

great story and a fine shot, Are there any bird hunting seasons still going? after deer season ends in Va its still grouse and squirrel. Virginia actually has a late muzzleloader season the last week of December that you can shoot almost anything that moves. Works great when if things didnt work out during the early seasons plus i can get a turkey too, hen or tom. again, great shot, congrats
Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

deer655

Ya I forgot about that we do have a turkey season still in progress - so that could really be a good excuse to get back out there...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Sabotloader.......so how far could that setup shoot say a 10in pie plate given the right conditions?.....250?300yds?

I would think staying inside a pie plate would not be to big a problem with a good ballistic reticule scope to 250/300 yards. People that work on those distances are shooting 400 yards. One person in particlular Spaniel had set up his Omega with a tactical scope and has harvested deer that far out. But, I think it takes a special person with some very good skills to get that job done. I would not even try it -well yes I would if I were shooting my 300 win mag - but not with a ML...

The other thing you have to remember, you might not have a lot of energy left at that type of range...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-02-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer655

We have a Dec18th-28th late ML season here too but if you took a buck during rifle season you can only shoot a "antlerless" deer. Firearms antlerless ends here Dec5th.

I love that part of the season if the conditions are just right.

Then the kids get another late youth season in January. We are thinking about taking out my friends grandson since he did so well shooting and listening.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-02-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Great story, SL.
Great shot - even if you did have a solid rest - not everyone could pull it off so well.
And I have to agree with Dave - a deer like that at my house would be used mainly for steaks. Only the trimmings would be used for jerky or stir fry meat.
But that sausage you talk about sounds real good, too.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

The problem - the real problem... once you have elk - venison just doesn't get it. I know this sounds terrible but the only reason I will even take a deer is if I know for sure that i can give to somebody that really likes or needs it. My son-in-law raises beef in Kennewick but he loves venison breakfast sausage and pepperoni with beer around a big campfire at the cabin in the Blues. So his Christmas present this year will be more sausage and pepperoni - but let me tell you it is getting expensive to process now days...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Elk is really good I agree. But good venison is hard to beat. I really like a good tender deer roast, cooked with onions, potatoes, and carrots. Or tenderloins on the grill.

I talked to a person in Madison. He paid $75.00 just to process his deer. I could not believe he paid that much just to have a deer cut, wrapped, and froze.

I guess I have been butchering my own animals for so long that I never think about the process fees anymore. One reason I got into sausage making as well. Just to cheap to pay someone to do it.

I have a friend that should go into the meat cutting business. He is that good at it. Plus his dad used to be the local bring your meat to guy, so they have the saws, grinders, etc.. But he just hates to cut meat. He will butcher his own deer, pigs, steers, chickens and (he raises) goats. But he just complains the whole time he is doing it.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

That is one of the many things I just do not know how to do... anyway well enough to satisfy myself.

I have been using this one guy for 20 years and really do trust him - so I keep going back and I keep complaining to him about the cost and he keeps saying wel you can do it yourself and I say maybe next year... it has not happened.

So you really do not want to know to make this 87# dressed deer into 2/3 sausage ad 1/3 pepperoni - it is going to cost me near $200... But it is a Christmas present so I justify it that way... sorta... + all the beef we get from him during the year - but then again it is my daughter and I do a lot of stuff for them at the house - you know you just do not get even when it comes to kids... But the grand kids are great.... oh well