Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BuckHorn 209 question... >

BuckHorn 209 question...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BuckHorn 209 question...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default BuckHorn 209 question...

What's a typical price range of BH 209, and what primers do you all use with it with best results?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its Blackhorn 209. The best price I have personally bought it for is 22 dollars a can.
The most stable decent price is at Powder Vally inc. on the Internet.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
If you have a good TC rifle all the standard reloading 209 will work stay away from the so call special muzzle loading primers they are a rip off. If you have one of the off bread rifles you may have to have an improved.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info... yeah, I posted before my morning coffee hence the buck not black...lol
Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Powdervalley does have the best normal pricing.

My best deal was $20 a bottle from Cabelas when its on sale. Stock up when you can and the price isnt that bad.

I use mostly Win209 primers (in modded plugs) but when in doubt try the CCI209M or Fed209As also. Mag primers build carbon in the plug quicker so i only use them if i must.

RemSTS primers are also good if they fit your gun well.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

rynigner

I'm blessed to be able to find it locally for about $25.

I strictly use Remington STS primers w/BH now. Win209's are my second choice. I don't like the real hot ones (Fed 209A and CCIM). For me, they caused more problems than they helped.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

I see alot of guys using BH209 measuring it by weight not volume, is this required?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by thatmichhunter View Post
I see alot of guys using BH209 measuring it by weight not volume, is this required?
No it is not required to weigh BlackHorn 209. Use a volume measure and have fun. The reason a lot of people weigh the charges is they carry pre-made charges. And some of these people are trying to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of their rifles. Heck some of these guys on here will shoot 200 yards or more with their muzzleloaders. I commend them kind of for being so diligent to take the extra effort to get the best possible accuracy from their guns. When they weigh the charge, that's just one factor out of the equation.

I have weighed charges. But I find I can throw charges out of a measure and get excellent accuracy with any powder. Although when I weighed charges I did shoot a little better group most the time.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pick it up at BP for $29.99 to avoid the hazmat charges. Right now I am using Win primers but also like CCI in my Pro Hunter.