Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A day in the woods >

A day in the woods

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A day in the woods

Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Spike

Post A day in the woods

Started out at like 5am it was raining.By 8am it switched to snow I was in some pretty thick woods.Where I was standing I would have been lucky to get a 40 yard shot.So around 9:30am I could see a little mound,hill behind me so I did some sneekin to it.When I got on top of it on the other side was a nice buck and 3 does bedded.They all seen me and took off I had my cross hairs on the buck.And he stopped like 70 yards away from me with his rear end at me.Anyways I never took a shot.Just didnt feel right and after he stopped there really was no good shot anyhow.So I passed on a really nice buck today.Did not see nothing the rest of the day...
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my dad always said "A bad day in the woods is better than a good day in most places." Hopefully you'll get another shot at him.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Spike

Yea hoping so i could have shot him in the hind quaters then Probably reloaded and chashed him down but thats stuff I use to do heck I prob. taken 150 deer.But this is my first year with a MLer..
Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck you must not be too far from me, by 7;45 thr Rain turned to Snow and it just kept Snowing! I saw 2 good Bucks tonight but they were just out of range with the Winds and Snow, had'nt it been for that a real nice 8pt would have been in My Truck. Nothing but lot's of Snow and Cold in the Forecast for us, time to get some Deer. Huntings not Hunting here in the North without Snow. I Love it!
Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Spike

Thanks Good Luck to you also I am around Pittsburgh area.But in the country/Hills
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i was a young lad in the 1950's, i read Jack O'Connor in every OutDoor Life that came out once a month. He wrote about point blank range, and calibers, etc., and he took trips to far off places. He also wrote, the best shot on big game was the lung shot. Reason; it was the biggest target. In the years since, i always have aimed for the lungs. Mostly, i guess i have also did a lot of other things his way.

In one article, he wrote about all the places one could aim, to put an animal down. One aim point was the end of the spine; the tail. He wrote, if all else failed, one could drop an animal by shooting it center in the butt, above the anus. Well, not so many year ago, i was trailing a cow and a calf elk, when a Bull appeared in front of me. He may have seen me, or heard me, or winded me. He knew something wasn't right, but wasn't sure what it was. When i first saw him, he was walking toward me, but he turned, and started walking away. I dropped him quickly, right then and there, with a bullet to the end of his spine. It really surprised me, when the cow and calf appeared from behind trees, and brush, between the bull and me. In those years, i was carrying a .358 Winchester, and the 225g Nosler at those speed, did no blood shot to the hinds.

Then of all the weird things, our son dropped a cow the same year with the same shot; a bullet in the tail, at the end of the spine. Neither one of has made that shot since.

I don't remember much, with fondness from my childhood, but OutDoor Life was something i waited for every month. Reading those pages took me away away to wonderful places.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zZ50CalZz
Thanks Good Luck to you also I am around Pittsburgh area.But in the country/Hills
Well get ready for the Snow, the I90 is closed here, snowing like a bastard! say we could get 2' by tomorrow. I dont know if the ban will make it to Pittsburg though. Im 4 miles from Lake Erie about a 40 mile drive to the PA line.
(BP)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Spike

Nice story thanks for sharing..See I did not think I spooked them that much thats one of the reasons I passed.I was on private land thought I would circle around and get a shot.But didnt see him nor any of them again...
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Spike

Breech Plug i kno abouts where you are I put that Rest Area in at the newyork line on 90 you kno where I am talkin about?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Well better luck next time out. It was cold, snowing and windy here today in Northern Wisconsin. Of course I had to leave the house and drive in the stuff. But the truck is sure footed, and they were working on the roads all day and night. So more is coming your way. Have fun.

I loved hunting in snow storms. Get on a trail or walk all the little cedar islands in the marsh. The problem is, you shoot one back in that stuff, you have a day's work getting the thing out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.