Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pillow ticking?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pillow ticking?

Howdy all-
did manage to shoot some this p.m. but not very happy w/ the results
using the pillow ticking I purchased earlier this year. I've searched and read many posts and am wondering:
Are some of you still sourcing ticking from Wal-Mart?
I ask because the three local to me had none; I ended up at a Jo-Ann fabric store and purchased the only ticking available but my sense is it is NOT .018 many of you use resulting in poor grouping vs my supply of TC pre-cuts which seemed right on target.
It was, though, fun to be shooting!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Did you wash the sizing out of it? If you don't they do not soak lube well. If it is 100% cotton stripe pillow ticking it is probably between .015-.018 thick. I still have about four yard I bought from Wal Mart when they had it on sale. So I have not purchased it in a while.

What kind of lube are you using? Are you using too much lube? All of this can make a big difference as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off it must be 100% cotton ticking second I have found it in 3 thicknesses third as mentioned above you must washer out the sizing I use hot water and tide to get it out and Wash twice then air dry.
With calipers I find the sizes to run about 15, 18 and 22 thousands with a hard squeeze on the calipers.
There are some substitutes out there that some sales people will try to con you into buying they did not work for me.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Spike

Not trying to hijack your thread 3seasons but brings up a question.
Cayugad I've never shot pillow ticking just bought some to try in my54 trade rifle. What do you mean wash the SIZING out of it?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Dominant Buck

The cloth has a starch called sizing in it. And if you do not wash that out, it does not take lube well. It remains real stiff. So all you do is throw it in the washing machine and wash the fabric, then line dry it. I only wash it once. After it is washed you can hand tear the strips.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Spike

Thanks good thing I found this out. I'm planning on trying my 54 trade tomorrow with some RB and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Morning all-

One week ago today I had been in the stand for a bit over 3 hrs...today sitting in front of the fire w/ a cuppa joe placing all my eggs in the muzzleloading season basket.

RE: sizeing; I asked the gal at the fabric store about that, she replied none was used on this ticking.

W/out a mic on hand it's all gut level but no doubt the ticking I purchased is thinner than the T/C pre-cuts. The analogy I'm drawing on here is "metric" (Chinese & Canadian) plywood wherein, IMO, every 64 sheet is 100% profit...don't know where this ticking was made.
So, do your Wal-marts still stock fabric?
Stores here said no, never had, never will have a fabric section.

The smoke-pole I'm getting to know is a T/C renegade .50 Kit-gun which I picked up last Winter at a local gunshop-history/age unknown; shooting, obviously, PRB. So far .490 ball, 70 gr 777 w/ a spit patch.

Prior to last muzzle-season I suddenly sold my .54 renegade, it was LH while I am not, leaving me w/out a rifle. What turned up @ one week prior to opening day was a T/C Cougar .50 which, IIRC, is a great shooter BUT a little too pretty to take afield, although I did.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use WalMart ticking as well and also buy and cut their cotton flannel for cleaning patches...Ours stopped selling fabric about 2 years ago but there is one about 30 minutes down the road that does still sell fabric...I stocked up this summer when I had to go through there...

You mentioned Jo-Annes...Some use their cotton drill cloth, I believe they call it 40 cotton drill...It's used as pocket material in some pants...You might want to try that as well...