Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

58 cal Hawken ?

Old 07-18-2003, 05:35 AM

Default 58 cal Hawken ?

Does anyone out there know of anyone who makes or can make a hawken style rifle in 58 cal rifled for patched balls. I already have several in 50 cal, and would like somthing in a heavier caliber........thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 05:55 AM

Default RE: 58 cal Hawken ?

You could check out the kits offered by Jim Chambers and Track of the Wolf. I dont recall exactly what they offer but if they dont have one I bet they could direct you to a source. If you cant find a hawken you like, a buddy of mine has an 1858 enfield reproduction made by euroarms that shoots roundballs as good as anybody would ever want. It will shoot them straight with heavy loads too. He hunts with .575 balls and 80 gr of fff. The mv is over 1500 fps. TVM offers guns built to order too. You might check with them if you dont want to fool with a kit. Or if you can find a hawken with a 1" or larger barrel you could rebarrel to 58. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Hi larry, thanks for the info. I checked track of the wolf, and it definetly looks like somthing i would be interested in, although a little on the pricey side, but looks like it might be of good quality. I am going to wait and see if anyone else has any other information, thanks for getting me in the right direction.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/cu...op/a3048x.html

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/cu.../renegade.html
Old 07-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made one with a Green River Rifle Works .58 barrel before they moved to Australia. It is a 36" fullstock flintlock, based on the idea of what Jake Hawken would have made in the early Hawken period before he and Sam set up shop in St. Louis. It is a Hawken in all respects except for the lock and full stock. All hardware and shapes are Hawken pattern. Shoots good, too! 1/60" twist, good for RB, and it also shoots the Lyman #57730, 570-grain Minie bullet well.

Old 07-23-2003, 06:25 AM

I think the 58 rb is the ultimate rb caliber hard hitting, accurate, and at 1800 fps as flat shooting as 54.
Depending on how heavy a gun you want, you could take a T/C Renagade and rebarrel it for 58 cal. They are 1 inch barrels. There is a Renagade stock assembly for sale on http://www.dream-tools.com/tools/mes...hiptradingpost Maybe this will help, then you could put barrel on for probably $200, not sure if stock assembly comes with lock or not. With 32 inch 1 inch 58 cal you would be looking at 9 lb gun, good weight in my opinion considering recoil. I have a 1 1/8 36 in 58 hawken, I built from TRACK OF THE Wolf kit, that weighs 11.86 lbs, fantastic shooting round ball gun, fully capable of accurate 1800fps. Hope this helps, I have several guns on the drawing board, otherwise I would offer my services.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:25 AM

Hi david, you sound like the guy i want to talk to since you are experienced with track of the wolf kits. This is the route i am leaning towards, but dont have a lot of experience in kit building. Could you maybe give me some advice on building one of these, like, How hard was it to do ?How big of an undertaking would i be getting into, I dont have a machine shop or anything like that. But i really like the hawken rifles that track of the wolf offers. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated....thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you an elephant hunter ? A .54 will take any animal in North America including moose , that' s what they' re designed for . Back when the mountain men needed a more relible caliber for elk and above the .54 was the result . Why bruise your shoulder with a cannon like that when you don' t need it ?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:20 AM

Hey kevin, no i am not an elephant hunter, but i thought that was a funny thought. You are absolutely right about the 54 cal, in most cases it is enough gun, and was carried by a lot of mountain men, but other calibers were carried by famos mt men. like kit carson (58 cal). I am going to be using a patched ball for bears(black) and just like the added striking power of a 58.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gen. Ashley had a Hawken that fired a " one-ounce ball" . I hear that it was close to 66 caliber or so.... 16 balls to the pound.

" It seems very difficult to impress most reloaders with the fact that every rifle is an individual, and what proves to be a maximum load in one may be quite mild in another, and vice versa." Bob Hagel, GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER, 1977

Quick Reply: 58 cal Hawken ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.