Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Choices choices !

Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 AM
mountaineer magic

Default Choices choices !

Do you have any certain preference in the type of deer you hunt. I realize that for those on the East coast Mulies aren't an option but if you had a choice between shooting a Mulie or a Whitetail which would you pick and why? I like Mulies but my wife likes the Whitetail based on the type of rack. .Here's a comparison of the 2 different racks.The first 2 are Whitetail and the second 2 the mulie. Which do you like better?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I like to hunt whitetails more. I think it is the midwest thing, different terrain, hardwoods and fast action at the right time of year.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

hunted lots of mulies but i want to go just over the boarder to new mexico and take a whitetail buck. They got some bigg'ns close by and arent hunted much.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
hunted lots of mulies but i want to go just over the boarder to new mexico and take a whitetail buck. They got some bigg'ns close by and arent hunted much.
I agree. I lived for 11 years in New Mexico. Definitely good hunting. If there wasn't good hunting here I would probably miss living there even more. Sometimes when it's 40 below here I think I would like to move back there.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never Hunted Mulies, It's Whitetails for me. I've heard that a ol Mulie is just as hard to Hunt as a smart old Whitetail.
Now if we had Mulies here I'd sure like to get a big ol one, say 30" spread. But untill I can hunt them I cant give an hinest answer. How's the meat compared to a Whitetail, does it depend on where the Mulies taken and what he eats as to how he taste?
But rack wise I still prefer a Whitetail.
(BP)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I would like to hunt Mule deer, but Whitetail are a heck of a challenge to hunt. When I was younger I really enjoyed hunting Whitetail deer a lot. But that was because I was foolish and did not care how hard I was on my body. I tromped through the marshes, and woods all day. Now that I am older, I am getting to where I don't like to hunt anything that requires too much effort. So sitting in a blind is easy, but that walking all over the prairie for a mule deer... that don't sound like a lot of fun.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted white tails. I would love a buck like that number 1 white tail in the pictures. Until I get the chance to get a WT I will keep pounding the MD's. Ron

Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think I really nice whitetail rack looks a little better than a nice mulie rack. That said, on any given day I would take a mulie hunt over a whitetail hunt. I have a hard time sitting still, and trying to sit in a tree stand for a day gets a little tedious for me. For a mulie hunt, even if I didn't get anything I got to spend the day roaming the hills and mountains.