Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega cutting project: update >

Omega cutting project: update

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega cutting project: update

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

There was a group of Omega barrels that the QLA was not concentric with the bore. TC knows about it and even had a note on their web site about it for awhile.

After reading your description - you have one of those bores as i would bet the QLA is square and equal on the bore.

I would capture that removed part and hang on to it. From there i would contact TC and discuss the problem that you found with them. Might need some pictures for an email. Even though they have looke at the barrel in the past i think you now have the physical evidence to aproach them about a warrany replacement should you decide to do it.

I have both an Omega @ one time 2 Omegas and a Triumph that would and do shoot Bullshop conicals very well - so they do have barrels that will perform... Even their newer Hawken barrels have a QLA on them - so they can do it... when the 'quality inspector' is on the job.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will definately go get the end of the barrel.

BTW, forgot to say the 4inch, 5 shot group from yesterday was with open sights. I was either really, really lucky, or it is shooting much better.

I have a lot more shooting to do before I am totally satisfied, however, if that was a true measure, I should be in good shape. I now plan on ordering some No excuses or bullshops and try them. If it shoots them well, I know for sure I am good. The gun with the QLA would at least shoot maxiballs to about 8 inches at 100 yards, but the no excuses were that wide at 25 yards!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

This may have been a better option from Precision Rifles.
To remove the QLA and machine a recessed target crown is $45.
To drill and tap the barrel to reinstall the front sight is $20.
http://www.prbullet.com/crown.htm
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

The gun with the QLA would at least shoot maxiballs to about 8 inches at 100 yards, but the no excuses were that wide at 25 yards!
That probably was the result of the un-equal escaping gas pressures on the side of the bullet most effected bythe non-concentric QLA. When I say non-concentric - I meaning the QLA was concentric with the bore - notthat the QLA was out of round.

Well, got it back today. Doesn't look perfect, but pretty close. Decided to give it a try and was very pleased.
This still worries me a bit... if that crown is not completely square with the bore it will not solve your problem especially shooting a flat base conical... the gas needs to escape equally all around the base of the bullet. I certainly can not question your gun smith - but "pretty close" will give you head aches.

Is this Omega still planned as a back-up gun?

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-20-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I am not totally pleased with the result. Wish I had know about the prbullet option sooner, but this guy has a gunsmith shop and I had no reason to doubt he could do the job. I will have to shoot some more before I decide what to do if anything more.

I did send T/C an email and let them know what I found (noncentered barrel). If the QLA was centered, but the opening/riflings were not, that could certainly explain why it was so bad with conicals.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Is this Omega still planned as a back-up gun?"

My goal is to make this my "go to" gun. We will see.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

Did you get the PM I sent you?

Do not worry about what has already been done... Let's just hope that TC will make a positive contact back.

Sending it PR would have been a reall headache - not just the shipping fees but getting the gun into and back out of Canada would have been a night mare.

Actually let's just hope the problem is fixed...
Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got your PM. Thanks a bunch for the offer and for all the info you always supply. I thought I still had some no excuses, but can't find them. They are the ones that shot the worse, so if they will shoot well, I know the problem is fixed.