Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Still Hunting

Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Still Hunting

I have not hunted big game as long as most of you guys, my kids got me into it about 10 years ago. When I fish and anchor the boat we call that still fishing. Why do they call it still hunting when the hunter is moving?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Spike

I feel its called still hunting when the deer aren't being pushed by dogs or man driven.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

That sounds about right to me bbdkiller. I've never seen anything providing the history of the term.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bbdkiller2010
I feel its called still hunting when the deer aren't being pushed by dogs or man driven.
Yeah, that makes sense, at least in the term's original meaning. When the term was being used way back when, stand hunting was not common at all. So you were either driving the deer with men or dogs, or "still" hunting. I definitely would not call "stand hunting" "still hunting".
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way I do it, stillhunting involves more time standing still and looking for deer than moving. I'll often stand 5-10 minutes before taking just a few pre-planned steps. One key is not to look at the ground while moving, because deer often stand up or jump right when you take a step after standing still a minute.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The way I do it, stillhunting involves more time standing still and looking for deer than moving. I'll often stand 5-10 minutes before taking just a few pre-planned steps. One key is not to look at the ground while moving, because deer often stand up or jump right when you take a step after standing still a minute.
How often are you successful while stillhunting? I did it once last season and was successful (though my gun misfired and I did not take the deer because of it, I was successful in my stalk), but this year I have stillhunted a bunch of times and haven't seen jack!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been very successful while still hunting. In fact when conditions are right it is my favorite way to hunt with a Muzzy or a bow. Fresh powder is my favorite condition, wet forest floor is second and very windy is third.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to still hunt in a light misting rain. Never had the opportunity to do it in the snow.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted many many days over 32 years. By far, the majority has been stand hunting followed by driving and then stillhunting. When I hunt all day, I often hunt 2-4 stands and stillhunt between the stands. I try to stillhunt at least several full days out of the season. I do it when the wind is right, and when conditions favor this style over stand hunting. This means windy, heavier rain or snow, etc. I don't worry much about dry leaves if it is windy. Anyway, discounting deer I have shot while participating in drives as a driver (even though we drive very slowly, almost like still hunting) I'd say I have shot between 5-6 with a gun and 6-7 with a bow. I have seen quite a few deer that I did not shoot for one reason or another.