Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C XTP bullets

Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C XTP bullets

I was at Walmart and noticed they had T/C XTP bullets with Mag sabots for $12 for 30 bullets and sabots. This is quite a bit cheaper per shot than even the Gold Dots I recently started shooting. How are these bullets? Are they good on deer? What about accuracy. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't switch to these. I always want the best option for the least amount of money. However, if I have to sacrifice a ton of performance to save a little money it's not worth it to me.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

From all I have read... they work just fine on deer.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I love them and for $12.00 it is a great deal. 240g will blow a hole through them deer.

They are very similar to the Hornady xtp. So much so I think they are except they come with a black sabot.

D
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is what I have been shooting out of my Traditions Evolution for the last 5 years. The have performed flawlessly on deer for me and shoot very well out to 150 yards.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Spike

I've been shooting 300gr TC XTP for the last 4yrs behind 100gr of BH209 out of my Omega and it has performed well for me.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are a good bullet, they are not bonded and will separate the jacket for the core a good part of the time. The Gold Dots are bonded and do not separate the core from the jacket and do deliver more shock. On a thin skinned animal such as a deer the XTP especially the heavier ones do well for boar and bear or anything bigger I believe the Gold Dot shows a decided advantage.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Got back into muzzleloaders in 1999. Since that time most of my deer and hogs have been killed using the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet. Every time i put that bullet where it is supposed to go there is a very clean kill; that includes several hogs over 300 pounds.

This 240 grain .430 XTP killed two deer. The bigger doe was hit through the heart and lungs-bang flop. The bullet hit the smaller doe just behind the shoulder-near bang flop. My wife found the bullet in the off side ham when she was cutting it up for jerky. The powder charge was 130 grains of Pyrodex RS.
Attached Thumbnails T/C XTP bullets-240-gr.xtp-small-.jpg