Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Young Deer Hunters - How Young? >

Young Deer Hunters - How Young?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Young Deer Hunters - How Young?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya that Mardi Gras is unbelievable. I went in 1988(I think). The people were fantastic. But it was totally out of control. People did anything they wanted. But as long as you did not try to hurt anyone the police left you alone.

However I did see one group of guys get into a fist fight(they did that back then). And a couple of officers rode in with those massive horses and guys were being knocked everywhere by those huge horses. Only other police horses I have ever seen that big is in Lexington, KY.

I swore if I got out of New Orleans that year that I would never go back. I think you guys know what I mean by that. You know, when you are hugging the toilet bowl because it is cool!!

Oh ya, back to the kids. I do not think you can go by age. I think you have to go by how the parent has prepared the child. I have a friend who's son is six years old. He has already shot a couple of turkeys, and a few deer, and he grins when he shoots his Winchester 1300 12 gauge. Now remember this is WV. We are hillbillies here. And we are brought up on guns. I do not judge a kid by age, but by experience. And this little guy is one tough son of a gun!! Tom.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I could remember this rice dish I ate down there though.. man that tore me up inside. And I mean tore me up!!!
Shucks Cayugad. I would have thought wading around in that snow the way you guys do would have toughened you up better than that.

A rice dish, huh? Let me guess.

Crawfish or Shrimp Etouffee?
Crawfish Bisque?
Redfish, Rabbit (or just about anything else) Sauce Piquant?
Some Jambalayas can be pretty spicy.
Gumbo is served over rice. Some can be real spicy, but most are not.

(I'm betting it was an Etouffee - crawfish or shrimp stewed in a brown sauce, or slightly "tomato-e" sauce with onions, peppers and celery, and served over rice.)

Last edited by Semisane; 11-11-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Spike

Yea sorry for changing the subject there Semi.About the kid's 4 year's old is way way to young for hunting.I have twin little girl's they will be 7 here in a few day's.And i would'nt even think about letting them hunt yet.I think about 12 years of age is about right but under adult supervision tho...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

zZ, you would have to hook up with someone who has tags and go along with him. There are some commercial outfits that offer hunts, and more seem to be popping up recently. I don't know much about them, but here are a couple of links just to give you an idea.

http://louisianagator.com/

http://www.provostadventures.com/Alligator.htm

(EDIT: There are a bunch of small landowners/trappers who will take someone out with them for a lot less than you see on those sites. It's a word of mouth kind of thing.)

Last edited by Semisane; 11-11-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea sorry for changing the subject there Semi.

One of the reasons this is my favorite forum zZ is that we often bounce around within a thread and no one gets too excited. I guess I'm not a very disciplined guy. Like Popeye, I yam what I yam.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Spike

Yea there's alot of good knowledged people on here.This is a very good site.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I must say, 4 is way too young. I doubt if she really shot that deer anyway. My grandson is 6 and IMO he is too young. I take him with me when I put up and take down stands, show him different tracks, rubs, scrapes, etc. And at that age his interest is high. He asks a million and one questions and never shuts up. Its actually funny sometimes. Especially when he asks why we never see any deer! I think about 8 I will start to take him for turkey and have him sit with me and watch. I know he can't wait to go hunting. If fact, my gun safe has a Savage 16 youth model 7-08 and a Rem 870 20 ga youth just waiting form him.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

4 is too young. Is there a 4 year old that can properly hold a deer rifle let alone see through the scope? Do parents actually think the kid gives a crap about what they shot when they are that young? My son is 8 and now he is starting to show interest in what he has shot with his .22(gophers mainly)and the deer I have shot.Just my 2 cents.