Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Green Mountain Barrel >

Green Mountain Barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green Mountain Barrel

Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Green Mountain Barrel

I know that many of you have these barrels on your sidelocks and would like to put one on my gpa's TC Hawkin. He is in ill health and we expect this will be his last deer season. I want to carry this gun next year to feel closer to him.

Here are the questions that i have:

1) I want to shoot sabots, so i am thinking 1:28 twist. Which barrel should I go with? There are lots of options.

2) Does this require gunsmithing, or is it a drop in modification?

3) Can I order the barrel drilled and tapper for a scope mount?

Any other info that you guys have and think will help me out will be much appreciated.

I just want to give new life to this classic, and at the same time still carry my gpa's rifle.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want to shoot sabots go with the .50 caliber 1-28 twist. Whether blued or stainless, that is a personal preference. The rifle barrel comes ready to mount a scope. You take the rear sight off the barrel and in the very back end of the barrel next to the tang is another screw you remove. You get the off set base from T/C and then a set of rings. I would suggest some quick release rings but again, that is a personal preference. Then just mount the scope of your choice.

I personally would get the 28 inch barrel. I have both the 28 and the 21 inch and both shoot sabots well, but the 28 I really like, The shorter one is good though if most your hunting is close quarter an or from trees.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea i would be going with the 28" barrel for sure. Not that I am routinely presented with long shots, but because i would eventually like to take it on some hunting trips. I am not seeing the offset base on TC's website. What might the model number be on the base?

What kind of accuracy can I expect from this barrel? After I dial in a load of course.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of accuracy can I expect from this barrel? After I dial in a load of course.
Something like this P&Ychaser.

That's from my peep sighted TC Hawken with the 1:28 GM Barrel.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Semisane!! I can live with that grouping!! What does the LRH designation stand for on your barrel? Sorry for all the questions, but i want to learn all I can about these barrels.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Green Mountain called their 1:28 twist barrels "Long Range Hunters".
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

O got ya. Well thats enough questions for tonight I think. Still having trouble locating the offset scope base that cayugad is talking about. Guess I will call TC tomorrow to get a price on it.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to call them as they are not listed. Be sure to ask for the one that fits the octogon barrel like the Hawkins. The other fits round barrels like the New Englander and the Black Mountain Magnum. As I remember they were around $45.00 for the base.

I went with the Stainless Steel model only because they had them on sale one day for $99.00 I believe if you purchased two of them. So I purchased two of them and then sold the other to a forum member.

That was the sighting in process. 90 grains of 3f black powder and a 250 grain Gold Dot in a black harvester sabot.

This was scope adjustment and then some 75 yard shooting with it. Also trying different bullets. They really are good shooting barrels. I have the 21 inch model in a flintlock and it makes a great little tree stand rifle. Short, easy to carry, accurate, and quick to point.

I am sure you will like the barrel. You might have to cut the under rib off about 1/4 inch to make it fit your Hawkins Stock. A hacksaw does fine and a dremel tool is a lot easier.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys! Its been a huge help. Time to start getting everything. Money is short right now as i'm not working because I am taking 18 credit hours this semester, but i think with a little try and alot of want I can pull it all together by the end of the year.