Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting with a ML in the rain?  Never again! >

Hunting with a ML in the rain? Never again!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting with a ML in the rain? Never again!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting with a ML in the rain? Never again!

At least I don't think so.

It rained steadily this past Thursday all day. I had the day off, and though I was tempted to switch it out for another day, I decided to go hunting instead to see what would be out and about. Long story short…NOTHING. Not a single deer all day, but two other days where it hasn’t been raining I haven’t seen anything either. I did find a really nice rub/scrape line. About seven rubs and 5 scrapes leading into the impenetrable swamp. I will have a hard time nailing this buck down, but that’s what will make it so sweet if I get him.

Anywho…me thinks hunting with a muzzleloader in the rain (rain, not drizzle) is a bad idea. It is a good thing I didn’t see anything because around 3pm, I was wondering if my charge was soaked by then. I decided to take aim at an empty coke can about 100 yards away, pulled the trigger and, “thoomp,” my bullet exited the barrel and traveled about, oh…2 feet. It was actually pretty comical since I was just shooting at a coke can, but I would have been POed if I had finally seen a deer to shoot at. I picked the bullet up and it looked good as new, so I’ll shoot it off at the range to see how it does. The sabot was still in the barrel so I popped in another primer to shoot the sabot out, removed the breech plug and rammed out the soaking-wet charge.

I don’t have a tree stand, so I hunt from the ground, and it’s very hard for me to sit on the ground but for so long…until my body is screaming at me with aches and pains. Thus, I sit for a couple of hours and then still hunt for three or so, then sit again, etc. If I were able to sit in the same spot all day, hunting in the rain with a muzzy might be doable, as long as I was able to keep the muzzle pointed downward. But when you’re up and moving about, you need to change carry positions and there’s too many other things to pay attention to than the constant angle of your barrel. I suppose you could put a finger cot over the muzzle, but when you still hunt, you can discover something that requires instant action, and having to worry about removing something from the muzzle (or remembering to remove it!) is probably too much.

Somebody tell me that there’s a shoot-thru something you can put over your muzzle that won’t affect the pressure!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

Somebody tell me that there’s a shoot-thru something you can put over your muzzle that won’t affect the pressure!
Well ya... there is. It is called a muzzle mitt and actually a lot of folks just stick a piece of tape over the barrel, some buy finger cots from a Pharmacy and use them. I for the most part use regular muzzle mitts... Several companies make these gadgets, but I think the best ones are made by Ultimate Bore Protection.

I actually like hunting in the rain but you do have to have the right gear. As time goes by you will collect the gear and the information you need to have a good hunt... just remember anyday is a good day to go hunting...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted many times with my flintlocks in the rain...Buy a good poncho and keep the gun under it until you are ready to shoot...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can shoot through anything you put on the muzzle - finger cot, muzzle mit, finger cut from rubber glove, tape, etc. It does no harm and won't affect point of impact. a drop or two of rain down your bore will ruin your day for sure. There's no reason to let that happen.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I been out with my thunder hawk in down pours ,rain sleet @ snow storms.The gun has never let me down
I use a small balloon over the barrel and a leather cover on the breech area
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

as mentioned, a lil bit of a cover is good, i used saran wrap with a rubber band on it over the barrel.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also hunted Thursday and it rained heavily all day in the area I hunted in. I actually had the same worry as you did, but didn't have any tape to put over the barrel. I tried to keep the barrel pointed downward when walking, and when sitting I did sit in a covered stand. I didn't see anything that I could shoot at, so I left it loaded. I decided instead of unloading it that I'd just leave it loaded since I was going back out Friday. I was worried moisture would have gotten to the powder. I did change primers on them on Friday. Anyway, that afternoon I ended up seeing the biggest buck I've ever seen and I decided to take the shot as he was getting ready to head back into the woods. The bullet had the exact POI I wanted it to and hit exactly where I aimed. So luckily for me, it worked out well. I think the key is to just keep your muzzle pointed down. If you are really worried about it, put some tape of the barrel.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, well that's good news! I thought for sure that blocking the muzzle in any way during a shot was a BIG no-no, no matter what type of gun. THANKS.

I was wearing a genuine USGI poncho and...FAIL. I dunno what was wrong with it, but the rain went through. It wasn't leaking...the water just was seeping through the actual material. I was pissed, but fortunately the polypropylene base layer I was wearing kept my actual skin dry, though I was cold because everything else on top of it was soaked.

I agree that hunting in the rain can be good. I was two for two in the rain, now I'm two for three. BUT, I don't think I'll hunt in an all-day rain again IF I am planning on going hunting the next day as well, cause you gotta deal with getting all your gear dried and ready for the next day, and by the time you're done with that, it's time to get up and hunt again!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate hunting in the rain myself, but how my work schedule is odd, so I have to hunt when I get an chance, so new rain gear, some tape over the muzzle I be ready to go.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Just remember to not shove anything into the barrel! Putting tape, balloons, rubbers etc on the outside of the barrel does no harm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.