Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer? >

How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, 20 Minutes with all them sips of Scotch, that's good time! I Won a Bottle of Crown Cast No (something) last Season for taking the Biggest Doe (141lbs) Im gonna try your process this year and see if I can get er down to 20 minutes, but I dont know if I want to!
(BP)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Wink

I use a mixture a blackpowder siloet shooter told me. Take a empty water bottl pour in equal parts of peroxide/rubbing alcohol/ and merphies oil soap. I run a patch soked in this through the barrel ther 5 to 6 dry patches a oils patch then another dry than lean the rifle upside down in a ccorner untill needed next. Also if you have a online put the breach plug in small bowl pour solution over it take out wipe dry use pipe cleaner in fire hole. We use to use soapy water untill a guy told me and my dad this solution and it works alot better. I enjoy cleaning all my guns this takes me 15 mins.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Another thing I do not understand is people purchase an inline because some claim, " traditional rifles are so time consuming to clean." When I heard that I kind of shook my head in disbelief. I would rather clean a traditional rifle any day of the week over a inline rifle.

Maybe the inline since I can see through the barrel, I get too fussy. I really am kind of a nut when it comes to getting it clean.
+1 more.I could get my Lyman GPR cleaned in less than half the time of either my Omega or Black Diamond.Sorry I sold it!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I Like Cleaning My MLers, usually they get cleaned because I took a Deer that Day and in the Evening it gives me something to do and to look back on the Hunt while Im doing it. I of course clean them after a shooting session also.
(BP)
Bingo!- my alarm is going off at 4:40 tomorrow and I hope to be swabbing the bore tomorrow eve for the reasons you have described
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will just say.....

I bought the Lehigh NFPJ conversions and use BH209 for a reason.

After a few hours at the range i can come home to this.

Now getting them out every now and then for a good wipe down and inspection i do enjoy if i havent been using them much.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by saltflyz
Bingo!- my alarm is going off at 4:40 tomorrow and I hope to be swabbing the bore tomorrow eve for the reasons you have described
That's Funny, that's the time I get up too, but your ML Hunting and Im still Bow Hunting, our Firearms Season does'nt start untill Nov 20th. I could'nt Imagine ML Hunting during the RUT, is the RUt on where your at? If we could ML Hunt now there'd be some Awsome Bucks taken with the ML. I see a-lot of 130-160 Class Bucks Chasin Does out of Bow Range and often think of ( if I only had My MLer and we could use them now) But I think if that was the case we'd never see them Big Bucks as they's be all Nocturnal as is the case as soon as Gun Season starts.
Good Luck and Hope your going to Clean your ML this Evening!
(BP)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I could be cleaning right now, but let a small fork horn walk @ 15 yards. Hard to tell about the rut here in VA...seemed like there was more activity around Nov 1, but theoretically we should be hitting prime in the next week or so. Good luck