Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Disc and some 300 grain SST's >

Knight Disc and some 300 grain SST's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc and some 300 grain SST's

Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Knight Disc and some 300 grain SST's

A friend of mine was up in my area and decided to visit. They were looking at my rifles and was curious about my Knight Disc .50 caliber. This is an original disc and not an extreme or elite. I was showing them the Lehigh Bolt conversion. They also liked the looks of the rifle, I believed the word was "pretty". But anyway, they then wanted to see it shoot. Since I feel it would make a good field rifle, and was sighted in for 75 yards I brought it off the shelf, got the supplies out necessary to do this, and out the back door we went.

Rifle: Original Knight Disc .50 caliber with Lehigh Bolt conversion. This rifle does not need any of the primer jackets anymore.

Scope: Nikon 2-7x32mm Pro Staff scope.

Projectile: Hornady SST 300 grain Flex Tip in the supplied sabots.

Powder: 85 grains of Pyrodex RS

Primers: Winchester W209

Distance: 103 yards the small orange arrow is pointing at the target hidden back in the shadows

Swab solution: Simple Green

Weather: Bright sun! A gusty wind from time to time, but warm out ... 31šs and it even got up to 35šs before the shooting was done. Just a nice day to be outside.

I was shooting from a bench rest position. I started by swabbing the barrel and then I popped four primers through the action and swabbed with a dry patch. Sabotloader says it works for him, so I wanted to try that.

I knew from shooting in the past that with the SST for some reason, this thing likes 85 grains of powder. At least my notes said so. And so that was what I decided to shoot. Plus there is less recoil in case anyone else wanted to shoot.

Shots 1&2 were touching under the bulls eye. This made sense as the rifle was sighted in for 75 yards. So at 100 yards it should of been a little low.

Then #3 happened.. :? Why this happened I have no idea. I really felt the shot was done right. Although #3 did load much easier then all the other shots for some reason. The others had that grabbing feel to them as they moved down the bore, like when you pull your damp hand over a smooth table top. But #3 basically just loaded. Same sabot (as best I know) and same bullet. But for some reason it took a dive and went to the right and low. I guess I could blame this on someone, but it was me doing the shooting.

4,5 &6 then followed and basically loaded the same as the others and hit where the others hit. To say I was impressed with that group would be an understatement. I was tickled to death. Then my friend pointed out as we stood there examining the target, me with a huge smile on my face... "missed the bulls eye."

I aimed a little over the bull for the next shot and #7 was born. End of argument there. I was swabbing with the same patch for almost the entire seven shots there.

After that I put some junk up that is fun to shoot and my friend and I shot all sorts of things but with some cheaper bullets.

I know I might have said this before, but I am so impressed with that Lehigh bolt conversion. I shot a number or rounds today and fouling in the breech of the rifle was basically non existent. There was a little fouling on the pin when I took the bolt apart. Nothing that did not clean right off. And there was no fouling on the scope, rings or mounts.

One place I have now noticed that fouling occurs. On the inside face of the breech plug around the outside edge. There is a slight groove and I had thought the plug was clean until I got some tooth picks and scraped that area clean. It really picks up fouling there. Other then that, what a great system.

This last picture means nothing in regard to shooting. It just turned out nice the way the sun was shining through the trees on the snow.. I thought you might like it.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
mountaineer magic

Good shooting, Then again it is a Knight! I have one lehigh conversion plug in my Elite.I should try and see if I can get one to fit the Disc Extreme. Then again I kinda like the little red primer cases

Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually the primer jackets were kind of nice when hunting. You would load up ten of them and put them in a pants pocket and they were easy to find and get to..
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had that experience also Cayugad, with a bullet that loads noticeably looser than the rest of the batch. It's always out of the group too.

That's some mighty fine shooting.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

As soon as I loaded #3 I knew that it was not the same. But like I said, I held true, followed through, and then was disappointed when I saw the results. Also that is not a group average I shoot often. That is just one of them days for me..
Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Beautiful pic! and great shooting too
Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some good shooting.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave, dats some dang good shooten... Even when I shot that little gun I was amazed at how well it shot.

Wish we had that snow here it wold make excellent tracking snow....

The other day I bought a MK-85 Predator from a forum member it is in the mail system someplace - I am hoping it will be as good as shooter as yours. For Idaho's short ML season and with Idaho's outdated rules it would make an excellent woods gun. I like the short barrel for whitetail hunting.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Those MK-85 from everything I read are just a real good rifle. Most of the early Knight rifles were based off the technology like the LK's , Wolverines, Bighorns, and such. I am sure that will be a shooter.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice Dave. Good shooting even though you did miss the bull...
All my MLs are sidelocks except for one in line and that is a Knight. Its compact, light, and like yours, a great shooter.
Hunt hard and shoot straight.